Hot Natured 370?

We got a 2006 Granite w/370 at work with around 20,000 miles. The truck is new to us and me as I have no experience with the 370. We just put new thermostats on it and the coolant is good but the truck always wants to overheat whenever pulling an incline. It pulls just fine without lugging but the temp gauge steadily climbs every time and the fan doesn't do much for it. Speaking of the fan it seems to run all the damn time.

Short of checking the water pump I don't know what the deal is. Are 370's just hot natured engines or do I have an issue? Any input is appreciated.

We got a 2006 Granite w/370 at work with around 20,000 miles. The truck is new to us and me as I have no experience with the 370. We just put new thermostats on it and the coolant is good but the truck always wants to overheat whenever pulling an incline. It pulls just fine without lugging but the temp gauge steadily climbs every time and the fan doesn't do much for it. Speaking of the fan it seems to run all the damn time.

Short of checking the water pump I don't know what the deal is. Are 370's just hot natured engines or do I have an issue? Any input is appreciated.

how hot is it getting,,if it only go,s to 200 or so,its probably normal,,on a pull,,guage could have bad ground,blown head gaskit,.just a few suggestions..i ussume warrenty has expired.good luck,bob

It's into shutdown territory so not sure how high it will go if you keep running it. Once the idiot light/buzzer comes on it gets shut down but I'm sure it would bury itself in the red.

I think the warning light comes on at 223o with shut down at 225o or somewhere in that range. If the shutdown parameter for coolant temperature has been turned off the light will come on but the engine will not shutdown. Try washing out between the radiator, CAC, A/C condenser, etc. If you still have problems drain the coolant and pull the "Y" shaped hose off of the oil cooler and check that the screen isn't clogged full of debris.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

I think the warning light comes on at 223o with shut down at 225o or somewhere in that range. If the shutdown parameter for coolant temperature has been turned off the light will come on but the engine will not shutdown. Try washing out between the radiator, CAC, A/C condenser, etc. If you still have problems drain the coolant and pull the "Y" shaped hose off of the oil cooler and check that the screen isn't clogged full of debris.

This service bulletin shows the location for the Y hose and screen. This bulletin is for the AC engine but the AI has the same Y hose and screen.

sb214056.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I'll probably get into it tomorrow. I was told today that it was leaking water all over the floor so it looks like maybe the heater core took a dump today, we'll see when I can look at it.

It may be important to mention that this is an old stockpile truck that spent most of it's life in a quarry. Only has 20,000 miles but around 3600 hours. Gives it a lifetime average of about 5 1/2 miles an hour.

Well it's been put on the back burner. The boss just wants to throw a radiator and water pump at it and call it a day so that may be what ends of happening lol.

Well we pulled the radiator and flushed the hell out of it and threw a new waterpump on while we were at it. Refilled it with fresh coolant and it's running nice and cool now and the fan isn't on all the time. Even in hard pulls it's only running right at 200.

So 2 thermostats, radiator, waterpump and complete coolant refill and we're golden. lol

• 2 weeks later...