Parallel Parking

Terry T

Looks like some of the holes I've had to back into working for Continental Baking and later the Postal Service. The Postal service was the worst, had some places that had to be blindsided and/or backed in off a busy street. The dock in the picture wouldn't be so bad if the alley wasn't so narrow- with a conventional with a sleeper you need some width to swing the tractor around.

I had been to this place before (Central Indiana Hardware on 52nd??? St), but this time when I swung into the alley and seen the dumpster I just thought "OHHH SH*T!!!!!" I pulled up sized it up. Slid the tandems clear to the back (yes to the back) so that I wouldn't have over swing of the rear of the trailer, pulled clear down to the end of the alley then started backing up angeling towards the dumpster, just barely squeezing by, after I got the trailer a little more than 4 foot past the dumpster I stopped, swung the doors and completed the trip into the dock. And yes Trent it was in one shot, I had already decided that I wasn't gonna waste the whole day trying to get in there, so I would only give it one shot. I carried a pallet jack and could have moved the doors to the rear. Decided I had to try it, thought I could do it, and if I didn't try, I would have always wondered. The funny part was when the kid came out on the forklift to the alley. He looked at me and said "I thought we would have to unload out here, the Roadway guy was here this morning with his little truck and said the dock was useless with that box settin' there!"!!!!! I almost dislocated my shoulder patting myself on the back! Obviously I am proud of that day. Still gloat about it 12 years later!!!

T.

Nice work! :clap: I couldn't do that if I had half a day to work at it.

Seems like the idiots who leave things in the alleys like that don't give a thought to the drivers. I ran into some places like that when I delivered for the 7-up distributor here a few years ago,I had a different way of doing it. I'd nose up to the dumpster and skate it down the alley about a hundred feet,then back into the dock. (Old GMC reefer with a killer grille guard for delivering to the ranches.)Once,the kid from the store next door came out to throw out some boxes just as I was leaving. He waved me over and asked "Where's the dumpster,did the trash guys come and get it?" I said "Nope-its right there.",and pointed to rhe end of the alley." I guess it musta caught a gust of wind or something..."

Speed

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>