Quadbox Question

Picking up my B-815SX shortly and am wondering why I see this set up referenced as having both 18 and 20 speeds. I see the plaque in the truck says to not use 5th in I believe low-split and direct. Why is this? Can you use it when empty or will it damage something? I'm wondering what ratios are in each box. See lots of guys on line shifting just the aux until they get to 1st direct then continuing with 2nd-4th to 18th. Is there a 20 speed version? Any and all information is appreciated. Would 5th direct be an overdrive technically?

Thanks

the reason for that,is its the same gear ratio as the gear you were in..such as the ten speed duplex,generally you skip 5th low,and go from 4th hi,to 5th hi..if you try to go from 4th hi,to 5th lo,its like going back to 4th hi,you dont gain anything,,now how confused are you???????lol,hopefully that all made sence,,,good luck...bob

The ratios on a TRQ-7220 for example, are such that the ratios are so close together, that shifting would not do much or go backwards...

4-Direct is 1.00 ratio

4-Hi split is .84 ratio

5-Lo split is 1.01 (backwards!)

5-Direct is .84

5-Hi split is .70

So for this trans, you would shift 4-Hi directly to 5-Hi

also generally,when it looks like thier going from 2nd to 4th,on the augsilary its an overdrive transmission ,thats the way thier setup thier actually going from lo to direct,then the up position is overdrive,good luck bob

Well that helps a little bit but it's not nearly as simple as one might think. Did Mack put out a manual on these things that lays it all out for us new old truck guys? I'll be sending to Mack for anything I can get on the truck once I have it home. I will see a guy Saturday who has an old LTLSW with a triplex. I'll pick his brains while I'm there. Then I will practice until I get it right.

Just remember that "lo lo" is not a part of the on road shifting sequence. Lo lo is only for off road use in 1st or sometimes 2nd gear.

You shift the compound lo split to direct, then hi split, then upshift the main to the next gear, then downshift the compound to lo split & do the same thing over again. Once you are in 4th hi & ready to upshift, just shift the main to 5th.

There are lots & lots of tricks that can be done with those transmissions, and in the hands of an expert it will sound as if the truck has an automatic transmission as it is being shifted thru the gears.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"