V12 Cowl R700 (Rob)

Thanks Ernie for taking the time to post these for me. Certainly clears up some questions and way it was gone about. The underside of the hood is the third style of reinforcing ribs I've seen on 700's. Quite interesting to see your alternator and compressor driven from the back of the engine given the proximity to the firewall. They would be difficult to service. I'm not certain I can mount my compressor on the rear due to the turbine housings may be in the way. The cowl extension panel appears to be about 4" or 4.5" in depth and really quite easy to make. Be a little more difficult to form the cowl side extensions without making the part a weldment but can be done. Looks like the cab could be set back almost any depth and the difference made up by the extension panel provided the front cab mounts could be modified to allow mounting, (my truck uses a "splayed" frame and the front cab mount arms mount on an angle). My front mounts also support the fuel tanks.

The task doesn't seem quite as "formidible" now.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I have more Pictures but for some reason it will not upload them! I even tried starting a new topic! I took some pic's of the pass. side, as well as some pic's of the under frame an mounts, but the pic's will not upload !! frustrating!!

Rob, Hope these will help for now, in the meantime I'll seek some Geek help !!

Ernie D

post-5662-0-71573000-1305948326_thumb.jp

Good morning Ernie and thanks again for the effort to post the photos. One measurement that would be very nice to have is the distance from the centerline of the steer axle beam to the center of the front cab mount. There is a deformation of the lower cowl panel just above the front end bell of the fuel tank on your truck. This panel is the same on all R model truck cabs. The cab mount is how the setback is determined. This distance is right at 48" on my RL797LST.

I'm thinking if I set my cab back an additional two inches there will be enough clearance for the turbine housings and heat blankets, but I will still need to do something with the radiator mounting area for a cooling fan.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.