Engine & Trans Swap

Have been thinking about this for a while. I looked through almost all of the pages regarding engine swaps. If I understand correctly a mechanical e7 350 or 400 will replace an e6 without too much trouble providing the front of the engine has the right configuration. So I was thinking could I put an e7-400 with a t2180(that is the model # for an 18sp right?)into my 1980 RD685 with 38000# 4.42 rears. Would the rears handle it or would I need 44s? there is an 89 R model with 44s coming up at an auction but I haven't seen it yet. Would the 89 be a better choice for this kind of swap? The biggest loads I pull are a triaxle double drop hauling my farm equipment between farms(up to 100,000lbs. max) and a five axle super b grain trailer (140,000lbs gross). I currently pull this with a 435 horse 3406e cat. Would I miss the 35hp and 100lbs of torque?. Have thought about finding a superliner with an e9 but would rather have a regular R model if I could.

Yeah I could, but 400 powered R models with the old style hood aren't real common. The ones I have seen are all new style hood R with a 20000# front axle(kinda heavy for a tractor) or are ch models. So I may have to do a bunch of work to get what I want.

Yeah I could, but 400 powered R models with the old style hood aren't real common. The ones I have seen are all new style hood R with a 20000# front axle(kinda heavy for a tractor) or are ch models. So I may have to do a bunch of work to get what I want.

Have you found a E7 mechanical 400 engine? If you have to use a V mac then you have a lot of electrial work to do. And yes the rears will handle the torque.

glenn akers

Have you found a E7 mechanical 400 engine? If you have to use a V mac then you have a lot of electrial work to do. And yes the rears will handle the torque.

No not yet still planning the swap. Was hoping to avoid the wiring issue

I didn't notice that you were pulling a 63.5 metric ton B-train... I'd say you need at least 500 horses. Perhaps an E-9 V8 is in your future

I was thinking about an E9 but I don't need 500 Hp or repair bills since I need to pencil in a future rebuild. Our 430hp cat in the COE has no problem pulling the b-train anywhere we go even out of a soft field at harvest time.

Have been thinking about this for a while. I looked through almost all of the pages regarding engine swaps. If I understand correctly a mechanical e7 350 or 400 will replace an e6 without too much trouble providing the front of the engine has the right configuration. So I was thinking could I put an e7-400 with a t2180(that is the model # for an 18sp right?)into my 1980 RD685 with 38000# 4.42 rears. Would the rears handle it or would I need 44s? there is an 89 R model with 44s coming up at an auction but I haven't seen it yet. Would the 89 be a better choice for this kind of swap? The biggest loads I pull are a triaxle double drop hauling my farm equipment between farms(up to 100,000lbs. max) and a five axle super b grain trailer (140,000lbs gross). I currently pull this with a 435 horse 3406e cat. Would I miss the 35hp and 100lbs of torque?. Have thought about finding a superliner with an e9 but would rather have a regular R model if I could.

My CH613 has 38K rears behind a 2180B transmission and an E7-460...but I've only got 4.17 gears in 'em and run 11R24.5's.

The 2180 is the 18 speed transmission with the super low geared low and reverse gears (similar to the T318LR). The 2180B is the 18 speed with the faster geared low and reverse gears (similar to the T318).

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!