Trucking News: TCA Will Support Mandatory E-Logs

BMT Forum Bot

The Truckload Carriers Association has adopted a new policy in favor of electronic logging and will support the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's proposed near-universal mandate for electronic onboard recorders (EOBRs) to track driver hours of service.

"In essence, the statement is basically that we support the mandatory use of electronic logging devices," said TCA President Chris Burruss.

View the full article

The Truckload Carriers Association has adopted a new policy in favor of electronic logging and will support the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's proposed near-universal mandate for electronic onboard recorders (EOBRs) to track driver hours of service.

"In essence, the statement is basically that we support the mandatory use of electronic logging devices," said TCA President Chris Burruss.

View the full article

well i guess we know those bastards are for the big freight companys i wounder how much money was given for that

I was pissed at this when I first read it. but then thought a little more about it. Just like the Speedlimiters. who is to say you cant find a way to cheat it. Its sad that this is what it has become but when that day comes it will just be time to hire a Hack to reprogramm the unit. It may be a blessing in disguise? Think about it. you have a E-Log that always says you drove X miles from X location. just hit the reset button everyday before you start and it recalculates when you started and does all the math for you!. Less writing and trying to remember where you ran out of hours. PRICELESS!! No more tearing out paper and buying louse leaf paper!.

I have said it many times. I dont drive with the HOS in mind. I drive safe and at my own pace that suites me. not the goverments. END OF STORY!

I was pissed at this when I first read it. but then thought a little more about it. Just like the Speedlimiters. who is to say you cant find a way to cheat it. Its sad that this is what it has become but when that day comes it will just be time to hire a Hack to reprogramm the unit. It may be a blessing in disguise? Think about it. you have a E-Log that always says you drove X miles from X location. just hit the reset button everyday before you start and it recalculates when you started and does all the math for you!. Less writing and trying to remember where you ran out of hours. PRICELESS!! No more tearing out paper and buying louse leaf paper!.

I have said it many times. I dont drive with the HOS in mind. I drive safe and at my own pace that suites me. not the goverments. END OF STORY!

Your mindset is the same as the criminalistic idea generator I have. A simple "decade counter" would be easy to fabricate to allow correct operation of your speedometer, yet reduced output for driving the tattletale machine. Slewing a GPS receiver is easier yet.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I am with Trent on this deal. When you get down to who is in charge of individual safety, it is always the operator. Any HOS directive that penalizes a driver for having the good since for taking a short nap to avoid rush hour traffic, is just wrong. I like the idea of hacking the devices. I always thought someone should come up with a device to counter police radar. Something that would set their car on fire would be appropriate. For all the hype about driver fatigue no one will ever address the stolen time issue, or who is stealing it.