Am I Missing Something?

vision386

My wife was watching TV last night before going to bed,(travel channel) when this commercial comes on, "plan your next trip to Puerto rico,and see the oldest city in the United states" am i missing something? last time i checked,there were still only 50 stars on the American flag! did Puerto rico become a state under the cover of darkness? i do realize it's been a LONG time since i was in school,but i was un-aware that Puerto rico was a "territory" of the U.S. same with the "U.S. Virgin Islands" hell' i got a coin with that BS on it! maybe i should get out more? i just told my son (who is learning geography in school) that puerto rico has nothing to do with the U.S. (state-wise) and he corrected me as well! Maybe someone on here knows more than i do,and could shed some light on this for me?............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

My wife was watching TV last night before going to bed,(travel channel) when this commercial comes on, "plan your next trip to Puerto rico,and see the oldest city in the United states" am i missing something? last time i checked,there were still only 50 stars on the American flag! did Puerto rico become a state under the cover of darkness? i do realize it's been a LONG time since i was in school,but i was un-aware that Puerto rico was a "territory" of the U.S. same with the "U.S. Virgin Islands" hell' i got a coin with that BS on it! maybe i should get out more? i just told my son (who is learning geography in school) that puerto rico has nothing to do with the U.S. (state-wise) and he corrected me as well! Maybe someone on here knows more than i do,and could shed some light on this for me?............Mark

I heard that same commercial and wondered the same thing. Puerto Rico is a US Territory...not a State.

From wikipedia:

Puerto Rico, officially the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico (Spanish: "Estado Libre Asociado de Puerto Rico"—literally Associated Free State of Puerto Rico), is an unincorporated territory of the United States, located in the northeastern Caribbean Sea, east of the Dominican Republic and west of the Virgin Islands.

---snip---

Puerto Rico has a republican form of government, subject to U.S. jurisdiction and sovereignty. Its current powers are all delegated by the United States Congress and lack full protection under the United States Constitution. Puerto Rico's head of state is the President of the United States.

---snip---

Puerto Rico is represented in the United States Congress by a nonvoting delegate, formally called a Resident Commissioner (currently Pedro Pierluisi). Current legislation has returned the Commissioner's power to vote in the Committee of the Whole, but not on matters where the vote would represent a decisive participation. Puerto Rican elections are governed by the Federal Election Commission and the State Elections Commission of Puerto Rico. While residing in Puerto Rico, Puerto Ricans cannot vote in U.S. presidential elections, but they can vote in primaries. Puerto Ricans who become residents of a U.S. state can vote in presidential elections.

---snip---

Puerto Ricans "were collectively made U.S. citizens" in 1917 as a result of the Jones-Shafroth Act. The act was signed into law by President Woodrow Wilson on 2 March 1917. U.S. Federal law 8 U.S.C. § 1402, approved by President Harry S. Truman on 27 June 1952, declared all persons born in Puerto Rico on or after 13 January 1941 to be U.S. citizens at birth and all persons born in Puerto Rico between 11 April 1899 and 12 January 1941, and meeting certain other technical requirements, and not citizens of the United States under any other Act, are declared to be citizens of the U.S. as of 13 January 1941.

In addition, an April 2000 report by the Congressional Research Service, asserts that citizens born in Puerto Rico are legally defined as natural born citizens and are therefore eligible to be elected President, provided they meet qualifications of age and 14 years residence within the United States. According to this report, residence in Puerto Rico and U.S. territories and possessions does not qualify as residence within the United States for these purposes.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Mark

We captured Purto Rico and is now a US Territory, you can read the info from Rowdy Rebel on the status and government of Purto Rico. I have visited several times for work and pleasure and there is a large contingent of US Citizens on the island (including US Military bases etc.). Also as you can see from some of the pictures posted on this site there is a large contingent of Mack trucks working on the island, so I would conside this island Mack- friendly!

Firemack

Puerto Rico might as well be the 51st state. The dollar is their currency, you can travel to and from without a passport, its like crossing a state line. Puertoricans are US citizens and can come and go as they please and they can be drafted during war time. Their local government operates like that of any other state.

It really is another state but they just dont want to mess up the evenness of our great flag. Where the hell would the 51st star go?

Check out this article for more of our past and present territorial holdings: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territories_of_the_United_States

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Incorrectumundo you nekkid floridian, we lost the battle, but won the war. Sabe? LOL,,randyp

Remember, why who could forget, it only took 5000 Mexican's with artillery 13 days to defeat 185 volunteer's armed at the end with clubs and knives.

I haven't forgotten our beloved Congressman from Tennessee either.

I haven't forgotten the battle of San Jacinto, where Sam Houston handed Sants Anna's army their asses in only 18 minutes. Mexican casualty's 730 Texas 9.

Santa Anna ran away and hid like a little girl. At his capture he was only positivily identified by his silk under drawers.

• Like 1

Remember, why who could forget, it only took 5000 Mexican's with artillery 13 days to defeat 185 volunteer's armed at the end with clubs and knives.

I haven't forgotten our beloved Congressman from Tennessee either.

I haven't forgotten the battle of San Jacinto, where Sam Houston handed Sants Anna's army their asses in only 18 minutes. Mexican casualty's 730 Texas 9.

Santa Anna ran away and hid like a little girl. At his capture he was only positivily identified by his silk under drawers.

Thas right bollweevil, santa anna had prolly sh#t in them silk panties too,,,randyp