1931 Mack Bb

1931mackfire

Looking to ID the engine model, size (displacement), etc... Will be looking for some motor ad chassis parts in the near future, too. Anyone have any experience with a truck like this? Please feel free to PM me or point me in the right direction for parts, etc.. Already have the Mack Museum info.

post-7878-0-82609200-1297672358_thumb.jp

Edited by 1931mackfire

Do you have a copy of Harvey Eckart's book "Mack Fire Trucks 1911-2005"? He has a chapter on these trucks. According to the book your truck was equipped with a 100hp 6 cylinder. The chassis number breakdown is: 1st number=number of cylinders;2nd two letters=chassis type;the next 6 denotes a fire apparatus;the S=shaft drive; the 1022 indicates it was the 22nd unit built.

He does not specify the exact model of the engine's used. If all else fails try calling Harvey. The phone number I have for him is(570)759-2343. He has a vast knowledge of Mack Fire Apparatus and their history.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 2 weeks later...

Note the non-original upper radiator hose manifold... Looking for an original one of those... Thoughts?

That manifold and hoses were for additional cooling if needed while on long pumping calls. The engines were ran at a higher speed to pump and if they got too warm then you could open a valve and it would circulate the cooler tank or hydrant water through the engine. You could just pull off the hoses and pipe nipples and put plugs in.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

That manifold and hoses were for additional cooling if needed while on long pumping calls. The engines were ran at a higher speed to pump and if they got too warm then you could open a valve and it would circulate the cooler tank or hydrant water through the engine.

Because raw water runs through these from the pump these are notorious for freezing and cracking. If you retain tham make sure they are drained by blowing compressed air through the lines. Most owners block the lines off under the rig to prevent an unwanted freeze.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks John. Any other members on here have anything similar?

Yes, recently bought 6BB26S1008. So far my information was that it's a 1934 truck so I'm a bit puzzled that yours is indicated as 1931 with a later VIN number.

Will post some pics after I get them on my PC. Didn't make a close-up pic of the the VIN tag yet, will recheck that as well to see if all matches up.

Didn't get a reply from the Mack museum yet on my request for info.

Yes, recently bought 6BB26S1008. So far my information was that it's a 1934 truck so I'm a bit puzzled that yours is indicated as 1931 with a later VIN number.

Will post some pics after I get them on my PC. Didn't make a close-up pic of the the VIN tag yet, will recheck that as well to see if all matches up.

Didn't get a reply from the Mack museum yet on my request for info.

Edit: The VIN on my truck is 6B26S1008

Just received a reply from Don at the Mack Museum

The right chassis number on my truck is now confirmed to be: 6BQ6S 1008

It's a model 95 from '34.

After studying your pics a lot of things are either identical or similar. If you ever need close up pics feel free to contact me!

Will create a seperate thread with some pics.

• 3 weeks later...

Just received a reply from Don at the Mack Museum

The right chassis number on my truck is now confirmed to be: 6BQ6S 1008

It's a model 95 from '34.

After studying your pics a lot of things are either identical or similar. If you ever need close up pics feel free to contact me!

Will create a seperate thread with some pics.

Engine pics would be great! Have you had to source many parts yet?

Engine pics would be great! Have you had to source many parts yet?

My truck is complete for the most part so I didn't have to source any major parts.

I'm now looking for a factory identification plate. Seems your truck has that one still on the dash.

Will make that engine pics for you of course.

My truck is complete for the most part so I didn't have to source any major parts.

I'm now looking for a factory identification plate. Seems your truck has that one still on the dash.

Will make that engine pics for you of course.

I don't have a plate, but I think it is held on with screws, and could possibly remove it and scan or photograph it if nessesary.