Antenna On '06 Granite

Just inherited an '06 Granite at work. I can't seem to find the am-fm antenna. I would like to hook-up my satellite radio and need to wrap one of the wires around the antenna. There is a truck-tracking antenna that is on the front of the roof near the marker lights. Could this be where the radio antenna was originally? The FM side works fine but the AM is all static. Wonder if they just pushed the antenna wire into the roof and left it hanging?

Thanks,

John

Just inherited an '06 Granite at work. I can't seem to find the am-fm antenna. I would like to hook-up my satellite radio and need to wrap one of the wires around the antenna. There is a truck-tracking antenna that is on the front of the roof near the marker lights. Could this be where the radio antenna was originally? The FM side works fine but the AM is all static. Wonder if they just pushed the antenna wire into the roof and left it hanging?

Thanks,

John

I think it may be in that location or possibly at the edge of the cab on the right side near the drip molding.

The noise on the AM band may be caused by interference caused by the EUPs, dash dimmer switch, heated mirrors, etc. If this is the case there is a ground strap and noise filter kit available from Mack, installation is outlined in SB742-002. Part number for the kit depends on the radio. The Service Bulletin was issued in 2001, so I would assume your truck already has the kit installed from the factory, but it may not.

• Like 2

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Thanks for your reply. Nothing on the drip moulding. They must have pushed the antenna under the roof. Guess I'll cancel my satellite subscription.

I am by no means a radio expert, but I think you can pick up an external antenna kit for the satellite radio and run it through the mirror frame and into the cab where the wiring for the heated/moto mirror would be. A lot of the truck drivers here just run the stuff through the door and pinch it between the weatherstripping around the door. Not the prettiest way to do it, but I guess it makes it easy to move from one truck to another.

Thx Midnight. I was wondering about the dual CB antenna setup. There are no CB antennas there now but I do have a spare one at home. I need an external antenna for one of the satellite wires to wrap around so the AM-FM can pick up the signal. The sat. radio also has an external antenna that I need to mount on the roof. Just came across this: http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/xm_radio_wireless_fm_transmitter_modulator.aspx which might be an option also.

I think it may be in that location or possibly at the edge of the cab on the right side near the drip molding.

The noise on the AM band may be caused by interference caused by the EUPs, dash dimmer switch, heated mirrors, etc. If this is the case there is a ground strap and noise filter kit available from Mack, installation is outlined in SB742-002. Part number for the kit depends on the radio. The Service Bulletin was issued in 2001, so I would assume your truck already has the kit installed from the factory, but it may not.

I think I may need to look into that. I listen to a LOT of AM radio during the day, and if I'm not practically on top of the tower, I tend to get a lot of noise through the speakers....sounds like a fake loud exhaust, since it revs up with the engine :pat:

Makes it tough to hear what you are listening to when every time you step on the throttle, the electrical noise drowns out the person you're trying to listen to.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I think I may need to look into that. I listen to a LOT of AM radio during the day, and if I'm not practically on top of the tower, I tend to get a lot of noise through the speakers....sounds like a fake loud exhaust, since it revs up with the engine :pat:

Makes it tough to hear what you are listening to when every time you step on the throttle, the electrical noise drowns out the person you're trying to listen to.

Yeah, that's exactly how the problem is described in the bulletin, noise/static increasing with engine speed. I think it's supposed to take about 30 minutes to install with the dash mounted stereo.

The kit number appears to depend on the part number of the radio installed. If it's the factory radio it should have a part number on it. Here's the list of radios and the ground strap/filter part numbers:

post-6084-0-78523300-1296930390_thumb.jp

I have an aftermarket antenna on the truck...ford style steel whip (Auto Zone special) instead of that little rubber antenna on the roof. My stereo also isn't stock...used an old Sony head unit I had laying around in the garage (it had previously been in a tank bag on my motorcycle...'til it blew out the little 4" speakers) with a pair of Sony 6x9's that I had bought for the F250 (that didn't fit). I bought a pair of Sony 3x5's and cut holes in the headliner to mount them in...so I've got a 4-speaker system.

As for the wiring, that is all still stock. I cut the wires on the radio-side of that plug to wire in the new-to-the-truck head unit. 6x9's were plugged into the factory wires. For the speakers I added, I ran the wires direct from the back of the head unit to where I mounted the speakers.

I still have the stock radio...would the kit for that radio still work? Or would that have changed too? :blink:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Isn't Rush Limbaw on the satellite radio yet? :banana:

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Isn't Rush Limbaw on the satellite radio yet? :banana:

I've always preferred local radio...local traffic info...local weather info...local news....local events. Know what's going on wherever it is I am at.

Besides, AM/FM is free...satellite radio costs money. I work for a cheap bastard...won't even fix the AC in the truck. What makes you think he'll pay for satellite radio? :rolleyes:

I have an aftermarket antenna on the truck...ford style steel whip (Auto Zone special) instead of that little rubber antenna on the roof. My stereo also isn't stock...used an old Sony head unit I had laying around in the garage (it had previously been in a tank bag on my motorcycle...'til it blew out the little 4" speakers) with a pair of Sony 6x9's that I had bought for the F250 (that didn't fit). I bought a pair of Sony 3x5's and cut holes in the headliner to mount them in...so I've got a 4-speaker system.

As for the wiring, that is all still stock. I cut the wires on the radio-side of that plug to wire in the new-to-the-truck head unit. 6x9's were plugged into the factory wires. For the speakers I added, I ran the wires direct from the back of the head unit to where I mounted the speakers.

I still have the stock radio...would the kit for that radio still work? Or would that have changed too? :blink:

I screwed up, the number for the ground cable for all of the radios was part No. 5165-PP201118 (thought it was listed on the chart). There is nothing listed for Sony, but one of the noise filters might fit, I'm not sure though. Might be be able to get something compatible from a radio shop too, sounds like it's probably just a diode or a resistor wired inline from the power supply and a wire to the ground cable that would be attached to the back of the radio.