Hypothetical Transmission Swap:

Rob

Let's say I wanted to replace a Fuller RTOF12513 with something a bit quieter in the O/D range.. What transmissions would be a "slip fit" not requiring any driveline work? I don't have anything picked out and have four of these transmissions, (two spares) and all are known good.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Let's say I wanted to replace a Fuller RTOF12513 with something a bit quieter in the O/D range.. What transmissions would be a "slip fit" not requiring any driveline work? I don't have anything picked out and have four of these transmissions, (two spares) and all are known good.

Rob

An RTX14613 would give you the same final drive ratio of .87. Although, I'm not sure if your bell housing will work. Check with Glen. The RTX14613 has new generation helical cut gears front and rear, as opposed to spur cut gears in the 12513.

Yes the bell housing will swap from the 14613 to the 12513. The front counter shaft brgs stick out about 1/4" from main case into the bell housing on both. The 9513 is the one that is different.That would be ideal trans for you.Now the RTOF means it has a forward mount stick on the top cover.The top shift cover is also changeable on the two but not with the 95 serials.

glenn akers

Rob

hey rob have you checked the shift tower isolater? If it doesn't have one or its wore out it makes an awfull racket only heard in OD cause you're in it the longest. they a very easy to install take tower out cut, and weld(or bolt) isolater in. ALL EASIER,FASTER and CHEAPER than a diffent tarnny! B0bo

hey rob have you checked the shift tower isolater? If it doesn't have one or its wore out it makes an awfull racket only heard in OD cause you're in it the longest. they a very easy to install take tower out cut, and weld(or bolt) isolater in. ALL EASIER,FASTER and CHEAPER than a diffent tarnny! B0bo

Hi Bobo. I'm not aware of this stick having an isolator incorporated. I do however have two brand new ones in the parts stock. I purchased them at the same time as new gasket and seal sets. I like having spares. Just haven't incorporated them. I'm told they really make a difference! I've taken the mat out of the cab and man is that a difference in noise. The old one is pretty ratty and busted up so I'm going to order a new one from the dealer to keep the Mack logo. Also going to pop the top from the trans to get a look at the forks for wear. I also have new forks and top cover rebuild kits if I find anything worn. I've driven other trucks with this same trans and they are much louder with the whine. This one is shifting very nice and crisp with the new filter, regulator, and all air hoses replaced. I did run some "Marvel Mystery" oil through the trans air system and it seemed to help. The direct to overdrive split is like an automatic without delay now.

The main reason I want to pull the top cover is the gate for the shift pattern seems awful wide. To me it seem the shifter is really pushed further to the right of the cab than needs to be on the upshift. It's almost like the shifter "ball" in the forks is worn thin from the side. Also seems the trans takes more force fore and aft to move the slider clutch gears. It is definately NOT a Mack trans in shifting characteristics.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

For what it worth rob put one in. I was ready to pull my tranny out of the RB(!PAIN IN THE ASS!), when my parts guy says "change the isolater" so I took the boot off and guess what NO ISOLATER on the shaft! So I go back to the dealer and 1 is billed out on my acc. sittn on the counter waitn for me, as Randy comes around the corner he says "your RB wasnt built with one!" you m********ker! we have a love hate relationship! I did my apprenticeship there! b0b0

For what it worth rob put one in. I was ready to pull my tranny out of the RB(!PAIN IN THE ASS!), when my parts guy says "change the isolater" so I took the boot off and guess what NO ISOLATER on the shaft! So I go back to the dealer and 1 is billed out on my acc. sittn on the counter waitn for me, as Randy comes around the corner he says "your RB wasnt built with one!" you m********ker! we have a love hate relationship! I did my apprenticeship there! b0b0

I have that kind of relationship with my parts guy too. If someone else answers the phone I always say "Let me talk to the HOMO"!! We've known each other over 30 years so I guess it's ok. He tells everybody I'm the biggest asshole he ever has dealt with so we're even.

The isolator kits I have are complete and you cut the stick, remove 1.5" if I remember and it fastens on with allen head set screws. They are genuine Fuller parts as is everything else. I may try to get something done tomorrow or Friday with it.

Went out for a cruise today as the roads were clear. The truck is now licensed so this was the first legitimate and legal run I've done. The truck really drives out pretty good but has a strong vibration at about 45mph. Will have to delve into this as it goes away faster, or slower. Next week when my trailer shows up I'll get some miles beneath her. Going to draw the red fuel out of the tanks before going too far........

Rob

Yes the bell housing will swap from the 14613 to the 12513. The front counter shaft brgs stick out about 1/4" from main case into the bell housing on both. The 9513 is the one that is different.That would be ideal trans for you.Now the RTOF means it has a forward mount stick on the top cover.The top shift cover is also changeable on the two but not with the 95 serials.

Hi Glenn, yes the shift tower in the R612 in noticably further forward than in any of the other transmissions. In fact, the Cat powered truck has the shifter with about a 4" forward bend to relocate the shifter further forward in the cab cause the engine is so long. My spare rebuilt RTO-12513 has the more rearward shifter top cover and is originally out of a 1979 RS700 with a V8 engine. The other trans is from an "F" model cabover and also uses the same top cover.

Rob