New project a 54 mack LJT. I could use some help ,I don't know where to go for info on the truck or where to get parts. It has a diesel engine and sits on 24" wheels. I have a 54 mack fire truck for doner parts with a gas engine in it. The injector pump needs to be rebuilt, I need a air brake pedal ,front leaf spring these are things I know of so far. I know that is only the tip of the iceberg. So I am looking for guidence. Thanks for any help!

Edited by 54 Mack

54 mack,

Welcome-There is planty of help on this site. I restored our 1954 B75, so may be able to help, it has a gas 464, so not much help with your diesel issues, but lots of diesel experts here can recommend a good rebulder for your pump.

One of the first things we always recommend is to contact the Mack museum in Allentown, PA and provide them your serial number, and a donation ($100-200) to cover the research and making copies of your trucks original build sheets/photos etc. and sometimes they have the operators manuals etc. This is probably one of the best investments you can make if you are going to keep the truck as it has all of the original build info- part numbers etc.

Good luck with your truck and enjoy the ride!

PS if you have the hard sleeves still on your Donor firetruck truck let me know, I am still looking for an original Mack set for B model firetruck.

Firemack

Thanks for the help ! I will send in my donation and #s . It has a Mack diesel in it. We have had the truck for at least 30yrs . The cab was so bad we really didn't do much with it. My brother came across a old mack fire truck with a cherry cab, hood,and fenders on it, so now its time to get this project under way. The truck was my Uncles my Father and I did some work for him and the payment was this truck. It was a great deal for him. That was 30+ yrs ago my Father is now 78 yrs old and I would like to get this truck up and running with him. It would complete a life long dream of his to use this truck to haul his old tractors to local shows. So the push is on. I will try to get some pictures and more info on this truck. Thank you again for your help.

got a serial number on the donor truck?

Thanks for the help ! I will send in my donation and #s . It has a Mack diesel in it. We have had the truck for at least 30yrs . The cab was so bad we really didn't do much with it. My brother came across a old mack fire truck with a cherry cab, hood,and fenders on it, so now its time to get this project under way. The truck was my Uncles my Father and I did some work for him and the payment was this truck. It was a great deal for him. That was 30+ yrs ago my Father is now 78 yrs old and I would like to get this truck up and running with him. It would complete a life long dream of his to use this truck to haul his old tractors to local shows. So the push is on. I will try to get some pictures and more info on this truck. Thank you again for your help.

Welcome. I also sent you a private message about salvaging some parts off of the body of the fire truck. I'm looking for the ladder clamps and the bolts used to fasten the stanchions to the grab rails. I think you will find that there is a lot of interest in parting out the body of the fire truck, so if you could post some pictures of the fire truck's body it would be helpful.

It kills those of us who restore fire apparatus to see one cut up, but if you have already made that choice at least let it live on in others rigs by being a "donor".

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

The fire truck came from Port Smouth Ohio . All I got was the cab forward, everthing was removed from truck bhind the cab. We bought the truck from Ballard Towing in New Haven Mi. He also bought it for parts. The drive train is all there.

• 2 weeks later...

I have extra ladder clamps from a 1951 mack pumper. im not sure how many though. I've replaced mine years ago but i keep all the extra parts for the just in case law, never know what you'll need in the future. How many are you looking for? Is there anything else you are looking for, I have many extra items.

I have extra ladder clamps from a 1951 mack pumper. im not sure how many though. I've replaced mine years ago but i keep all the extra parts for the just in case law, never know what you'll need in the future. How many are you looking for? Is there anything else you are looking for, I have many extra items.

Thanks for the reply. I sent you a private message to see what we can work out.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!