Mp Engine Question For Mack Techs.

Our mp-8 lost power this morning which showed a code of mid 128 pid 102 which is "boost pressure". Would this most likely be a sensor? If so where is the sensor located and is there any secreats to narrow down what else it would be? thanks

Our mp-8 lost power this morning which showed a code of mid 128 pid 102 which is "boost pressure". Would this most likely be a sensor? If so where is the sensor located and is there any secreats to narrow down what else it would be? thanks

It should be located in the EGR mixer housing on the left side of the engine where the piping comes off of the CAC. What was the FMI?

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

It should be located in the EGR mixer housing on the left side of the engine where the piping comes off of the CAC. What was the FMI?

it registered the code twice. the first time it was FMI 2 and the second time it was FMI 11

it registered the code twice. the first time it was FMI 2 and the second time it was FMI 11

FMI 2 (and I think 11 is pretty close to the same description) is data erratic, intermittent or incorrect. I think a boost leak might cause those FMIs to set or maybe more boost than expected due to colder air mass. We've had a couple that started setting this fault out of the blue but I can't remember what FMI was being set. We ended up changing the sensor.

FMI 2 (and I think 11 is pretty close to the same description) is data erratic, intermittent or incorrect. I think a boost leak might cause those FMIs to set or maybe more boost than expected due to colder air mass. We've had a couple that started setting this fault out of the blue but I can't remember what FMI was being set. We ended up changing the sensor.

Ok thanks

Today I unplugged the boost sensor harness. Plugged it back in and started the truck, no lighting bolt and no active code. The codes still show up in the inactive codes but not active. I unplugged the sensor while the truck was running and it showed a code of MID 128 PID 102 FMI 5, so I don't know how close that is to what the other two FMI's were. Plugged it back in, lightning bolt went away, took for a test drive and ran perfect. Any opinions? Run it and see what happens? or take it to the dealer? thanks

Today I unplugged the boost sensor harness. Plugged it back in and started the truck, no lighting bolt and no active code. The codes still show up in the inactive codes but not active. I unplugged the sensor while the truck was running and it showed a code of MID 128 PID 102 FMI 5, so I don't know how close that is to what the other two FMI's were. Plugged it back in, lightning bolt went away, took for a test drive and ran perfect. Any opinions? Run it and see what happens? or take it to the dealer? thanks

FMI 5 is indicating that the circuit was open. Since that happened when it was unplugged that makes sense. It could be something like I described before with the boost pressure or it could just be an issue with the connector on the harness. It seems like there are a lot of problems with the MP engine harnesses fretting and making poor contact. If you see a kind of green dust in the connectors or sensors try cleaning them out with an electrical contact cleaner and make sure that the harness isn't flexing around too much with the air coming off of the fan.

FMI 5 is indicating that the circuit was open. Since that happened when it was unplugged that makes sense. It could be something like I described before with the boost pressure or it could just be an issue with the connector on the harness. It seems like there are a lot of problems with the MP engine harnesses fretting and making poor contact. If you see a kind of green dust in the connectors or sensors try cleaning them out with an electrical contact cleaner and make sure that the harness isn't flexing around too much with the air coming off of the fan.

Took the truck to dealership today. No active code showed up today, but the codes from sat. where stored in the inactive codes. Tech. downloaded the codes and the service manager told him they COULD NOT send it in for warranty because it's an inactive code. So in a nut shell they told me the problem is the boost sensor and seen that it threw the code multiple times on sat, but they can do nothing about it untill it goes into a active code and im hours away early in the morning with the engine in derate mode. How nice of Mack helping us when we bought the truck new from them and spent the extra to buy the extended warranty!! Truck is a sharp looking truck and a pleasure to drive, but it seems like the stupidest stuff causing trouble.( wiring and connectors) The truck itself and engine and even the DPF has never been an issue.

Took the truck to dealership today. No active code showed up today, but the codes from sat. where stored in the inactive codes. Tech. downloaded the codes and the service manager told him they COULD NOT send it in for warranty because it's an inactive code. So in a nut shell they told me the problem is the boost sensor and seen that it threw the code multiple times on sat, but they can do nothing about it untill it goes into a active code and im hours away early in the morning with the engine in derate mode. How nice of Mack helping us when we bought the truck new from them and spent the extra to buy the extended warranty!! Truck is a sharp looking truck and a pleasure to drive, but it seems like the stupidest stuff causing trouble.( wiring and connectors) The truck itself and engine and even the DPF has never been an issue.

That is totally chickenshit, but that is the way they tend to handle things now and it really sucks, especially when the problem is a sensor that probably doesn't cost them more than about $75. My advice is to keep screaming until someone from upstairs hears you and hopefully does something about it.

• 3 weeks later...

What was the FMI code?Yes its bad but they need an active code to work from for warrany.

What was the FMI code?Yes its bad but they need an active code to work from for warrany.

As I stated in an above post, the FMI was 2 and 11 on seperate times. The dealer ended up fixing it without an active code. I had the first go around as stated above with the dealer. The very next day it threw the code again, but before we could get it to the dealer the lighting bolt went out and in return it was no longer an "active code" though it was stored in the "inactive codes". After having a nice discussion with the dealer that "APPERENTALLY THERES A PROBLEM" it fianlly got fixed. We get good service from our dealer both in the service and parts department. And I understand there are certian procedures they have to go through on this warranty stuff. I just think this is were Mack could maybe step up and be a little better to customers. As stated before in another topic, every manufacture has there flaws, it's how they get taken care of with the least amount of bullcrap determines how happy the customer stays.

As I stated in an above post, the FMI was 2 and 11 on seperate times. The dealer ended up fixing it without an active code. I had the first go around as stated above with the dealer. The very next day it threw the code again, but before we could get it to the dealer the lighting bolt went out and in return it was no longer an "active code" though it was stored in the "inactive codes". After having a nice discussion with the dealer that "APPERENTALLY THERES A PROBLEM" it fianlly got fixed. We get good service from our dealer both in the service and parts department. And I understand there are certian procedures they have to go through on this warranty stuff. I just think this is were Mack could maybe step up and be a little better to customers. As stated before in another topic, every manufacture has there flaws, it's how they get taken care of with the least amount of bullcrap determines how happy the customer stays.

Since the swede's took over the whole customer service thing has gone out the window!I have to pause and think Do they treat there Volvo customers the same way???

Or is it just the Mack side of the company? They wanted all of you Mack guys as customers but don't want to build mack trucks the way they need to be built ( MACK Tough)

These Guys are actually worse than dealing with Cummins!

You can also take note that that dealer that took the bull by the horns and repaired the problem Will likely not be payed for his efforts by the warranty people as they didn't follow proper proceed-er.

Since the swede's took over the whole customer service thing has gone out the window!I have to pause and think Do they treat there Volvo customers the same way???

Or is it just the Mack side of the company? They wanted all of you Mack guys as customers but don't want to build mack trucks the way they need to be built ( MACK Tough)

These Guys are actually worse than dealing with Cummins!

You can also take note that that dealer that took the bull by the horns and repaired the problem Will likely not be payed for his efforts by the warranty people as they didn't follow proper proceed-er.

We were denied warranty on a 2011 truck, on its second trip an injector actually broke and because we didnt follow proper procedure we were denied and now have to apeal. Thats all I can say about it without getting some kind of pissed off.

• 2 weeks later...

I drive a Granite 2007 with the 460.Some times during a hard pull the lighting bolt will flash and at times it seems it will not pull worth a flip.Other times it pulls like a Mack.Any ideas to what is going on.It has not throwed a code.Some times under a hard pull it sounds like it is missing by a fluttering sound out the exhaust.