V8 Tach Drive/ And Water Temp Gauge

Been working on the old Superliner and need to replace the tach drive. I have not washed the engine so its kinda oily down near the tach drive. Looking down there I cant see how it is held in place. I can see one nut on top but not sure if thats all that holds it on ? Hope its as simple as one nut and it pulss out? is it that simple???????? :wacko:

also this truck is 24V, equipped with a mechinal water temp gauge. Would I need a special "24v" water temp gauge and sending unit if I converted it to electrical? right now the mechinal gauge is installed with the probe in the water housing / probe lead runs back to the dash gauge. Its not working and would like to replace it with a electric unit as you can just run wires instad of the thicker mechincal probe lead...

Trent

Been working on the old Superliner and need to replace the tach drive. I have not washed the engine so its kinda oily down near the tach drive. Looking down there I cant see how it is held in place. I can see one nut on top but not sure if thats all that holds it on ? Hope its as simple as one nut and it pulss out? is it that simple???????? :wacko:

also this truck is 24V, equipped with a mechinal water temp gauge. Would I need a special "24v" water temp gauge and sending unit if I converted it to electrical? right now the mechinal gauge is installed with the probe in the water housing / probe lead runs back to the dash gauge. Its not working and would like to replace it with a electric unit as you can just run wires instad of the thicker mechincal probe lead...

Trent

Not sure what V8 you have , but i just replaced one on my ENDT866b, and it was held in by a crows foot / fork with one bolt then just pop it out and up "very tight on my truck". The one I received from Watts mack I had to take apart and use the very short drive shaft from the original, old tach drive, the one that came with the new tach drive was too long there for not allowing the tach cable to screw into the top of the drive . hope this helps Brian

I got the presser washer ready for tomorrow so I will be able to see better if it has a crows foot. that sure will make life easy if it does!!!!

The truck has four 12V batterys but the dash gauge range shows a 20V-28V range, I assume its a 24v truck? with the lights only running off 12V?

Vin number is 1M2AY12Y7MM005499

BUILT 5-90 DELIVERED 6-90

Finished by R.G. smith Desplaines IL

450HP V8 with a mack 13 speed 38K camelbacks.

I got the presser washer ready for tomorrow so I will be able to see better if it has a crows foot. that sure will make life easy if it does!!!!

The truck has four 12V batterys but the dash gauge range shows a 20V-28V range, I assume its a 24v truck? with the lights only running off 12V?

Vin number is 1M2AY12Y7MM005499

BUILT 5-90 DELIVERED 6-90

Finished by R.G. smith Desplaines IL

450HP V8 with a mack 13 speed 38K camelbacks.

It shows a 12 volt alternator and 24 volt starter.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

My guess is that some one put the gauge inline with the starter, to check voltage drop during cranking? Just use an old bulb to check for the 12v from another gauge while you have dash panel off. You are doing your self a favor, go with the wired sending unit over the cap. Tube. They don't like vibration and seem to break the tube quickly. I just changed over mine on the E9. Bob0

You might be able to just install the electric guage, the chassis shows that it had what I assume is an electric gauge (part number 3MT323AP2) when built. There should be a harness branch going to the "A" panel of the dash that connects to the main cab harness with a large black 8 pin connector. If it's there, wires 18 B/G, 18 W/R, 18 B/W, and 18 B connect to the water temperature gauge (plus the wires/socket for the gauge lamp).

Alright I got the tach drive installed today.. pretty easy with a magnet tool to get the crows foot in. I noticed they had the crows foot in backwards so im sure that helped it wear out faster. Got it for around $90 at my local mack dealer.

Next issue. I think this engine is running a little under powered? this is a 1991 E9 450Hp gov @1900 RPM. The Tach only reads 1800 at full throttle (no load). I dont recall if they should spin faster than the advertised governed RPM with no load? I know the 6 cyl macks would spin to around 2250-2300 RPM with no load.

Whats the boost range on this engine. I cant get more than 15 psi out of it and it seams as soon as the boost comes on at 1500 it falls off at 1700.

This truck has that air throttle so im not sure if the pump is getting full fuel. I also think it has a torque limiter device.

Any thoughts.

post-17-0-21157400-1294197514_thumb.jpg

Alright I got the tach drive installed today.. pretty easy with a magnet tool to get the crows foot in. I noticed they had the crows foot in backwards so im sure that helped it wear out faster. Got it for around $90 at my local mack dealer.

Next issue. I think this engine is running a little under powered? this is a 1991 E9 450Hp gov @1900 RPM. The Tach only reads 1800 at full throttle (no load). I dont recall if they should spin faster than the advertised governed RPM with no load? I know the 6 cyl macks would spin to around 2250-2300 RPM with no load.

Whats the boost range on this engine. I cant get more than 15 psi out of it and it seams as soon as the boost comes on at 1500 it falls off at 1700.

This truck has that air throttle so im not sure if the pump is getting full fuel. I also think it has a torque limiter device.

Any thoughts.

The 1991 tuneup specs say operating range 1300-1900 rpm. Boost is quoted at 18-26 psi.

Thanks Rahsler Sounds like its turning a little slow then... throttle is wide open so Will have to mess with it to get the RPM back....Ok nother problem ...im on a string of bad luck... the new tach drive just went out. Have to pull it tomorrow to see why. Last tach drive had the a cracked shaft that incerts into the block. What is it driven off of? Im thinking what ever turns the tach drive has too much slop and is braking the shaft? any thoughts?