Great Parts Dealer

If you have been following my tie rod end saga...you know that I ended up needing a new cross tube as well as new tie rod ends...anyhow, NAPA came through with the tie rod ends, but I was still in need of a cross tube...I found an Arvin Meritor number that would do the job. Searching the internet turned up only one hit! Raney's Truck Parts in Florida...ordered online Monday afternoon, said they would try to get it to me by this Friday...low an behold, the UPS man brought me a great gift today! All is well with the steering and I was able to put a few miles on her today! Really feels good to be "back on the road". Raney's was a pleasure to deal with and really came through for me.

Raney's Truck Parts

post-6773-045839000 1293062398_thumb.jpg

post-6773-064684300 1293062409_thumb.jpg

If you have been following my tie rod end saga...you know that I ended up needing a new cross tube as well as new tie rod ends...anyhow, NAPA came through with the tie rod ends, but I was still in need of a cross tube...I found an Arvin Meritor number that would do the job. Searching the internet turned up only one hit! Raney's Truck Parts in Florida...ordered online Monday afternoon, said they would try to get it to me by this Friday...low an behold, the UPS man brought me a great gift today! All is well with the steering and I was able to put a few miles on her today! Really feels good to be "back on the road". Raney's was a pleasure to deal with and really came through for me.

Raney's Truck Parts

I've used them in the past without problems also. Nice folks. How much "thread engagement" did you wind up with on the tie rod ends? At least 50% I hope for safety. I've seen generic center links used and barely yielded enough thread engagement to do the job.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I've used them in the past without problems also. Nice folks. How much "thread engagement" did you wind up with on the tie rod ends? At least 50% I hope for safety. I've seen generic center links used and barely yielded enough thread engagement to do the job.

Rob

Wound up with about 80% engagment...I had a choice of a 53.5 or a 55.5...I went with the 55.5...threads go all the way past the slots...

post-6773-028161700 1293068884_thumb.jpg

Wound up with about 80% engagment...I had a choice of a 53.5 or a 55.5...I went with the 55.5...threads go all the way past the slots...

Any amount greater than 50% is good. You have much more than needed and as long as proper toe adjust can be made, all is fine.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi leversole, Just a suggestion list the part no. and it may help somebody else out of trouble as well, as Arvin Meritor No's are recognised down under and good stock never know. Merry Christmas Gearbox

The Tie rod ends were Meritor #R230024 (left hand) and R230025 (right hand). They had the correct taper and if your cross tube has 1.125"-12 threads, and is threaded left on one side and right on the other these will work. If yours is like mine, it had 1.125-12 right hand on one side, and 1.125-? Extra fine? (I have not measured them yet), but there was no way I was going to be able to find a replacement. So I found the correct crosstube with right and left hand threads, this was Meritor part number A-3102-S-3451 which was 55.5 inches long and worked perfectly.

Forgot to mention, the tie rod ends are male, and the cross tube is female...not all are the same!

Hope this helps someone...

Leslie