Chassis Resto

Now that I got most of the drive train refurbished, it's on to the chassis and front axle. The axle and springs are no problem, the chassis is. Over 3/4 of a century all the rivets on crossmembers and on alot of the suspension mounts and assorted brackets are loose. I would like to keep the original look of the chassis assembly. Short of looking for a real blacksmith anybody done an AC chassis before or have a thought on keeping the riveted look?

There was a member from I believe Great Brittin doing a AC but I can't locate the thread or member. Thanks Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Now that I got most of the drive train refurbished, it's on to the chassis and front axle. The axle and springs are no problem, the chassis is. Over 3/4 of a century all the rivets on crossmembers and on alot of the suspension mounts and assorted brackets are loose. I would like to keep the original look of the chassis assembly. Short of looking for a real blacksmith anybody done an AC chassis before or have a thought on keeping the riveted look?

There was a member from I believe Great Brittin doing a AC but I can't locate the thread or member. Thanks Paul

I think the member you are looking for is paulbrook. In any case, he is from the UK and his gallery has several pictures of an AC preparing to be restored. Just happens to be dumb luck that I had seen his gallery photos and recalled that his name was Paul.

Regarding rivets, I noticed that the crossmember centers on the GU chassis are riveted to the side gussetts.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

You can still purchase rivet blanks and it is not hard to locate a ceramic kiln or furnace to heat them with. If you or a partner can swing an eight pound hammer accurately, it really is no problem to buck them over when hot. You just want to have the correct head profile bucking tool for the outside end that shows to preserve the profil

Otherwise, I think I've seen "Huckbolts" with a similar profile that would show on the outside most seen by the eye.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

You can still purchase rivet blanks and it is not hard to locate a ceramic kiln or furnace to heat them with. If you or a partner can swing an eight pound hammer accurately, it really is no problem to buck them over when hot. You just want to have the correct head profile bucking tool for the outside end that shows to preserve the profil

Otherwise, I think I've seen "Huckbolts" with a similar profile that would show on the outside most seen by the eye.

Rob

I contacted paulbrook from his resto web site http://rustytrucks.tripod.com/ to see what his ideas /solutions are. The Huck bolfs are a thought as well as the local ship yard who showed me a 25 ton hydraulic riviter (looks like a Hurst Tool). Their suggestion was to heat and reset the rivets. Replacing with new is a option also. Thanks for the input and ideas. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

For anybody interested. J.O. King supplier of heavy duty fasteners for military and Aerospace was more than helpful with finding me Rivet look grade 8 fasteners for my AC chassis.

http://www.kingfastener.com/

P.T.CHESHIRE