Mack Mirrors:

Rob

On my 1980 Mack truck there is mounted one stainless bubble back mirror, and one stainless type with the 1/2 bulldog, and inside the cab a flat back generic looking style. I don't know which is correct for the truck. I have "spares" of both types mounted on the truck. The mirror arms are stainless.

Which style is original to the truck?

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

In 1980 the flat stainless with the 1/2 bulldog was OEM.

I worked for AC&S Excavating in Pound Ridge NY at the time, they bought new 1979 & 1980 DM686SX triaxle dump trucks and that's the type of mirrors that were on 'em.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

In 1980 the flat stainless with the 1/2 bulldog was OEM.

I worked for AC&S Excavating in Pound Ridge NY at the time, they bought new 1979 & 1980 DM686SX triaxle dump trucks and that's the type of mirrors that were on 'em.

Thanks Herb, I knew they were new about that timeframe but certainly didn't know for sure.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The mirrors with the 1/2 Bulldogs were first a Mack Western option and came around in the mid '70's.,you could either get chrome dogs,gold dogs,or you could even get gold mirrors instead of the polished aluminum.I got my Dad a set for his '78 Cruiseliner and at that time had to order them as our dealer only stocked the old style bubble back mirrors.I don't know when they became a standard item,but the '85 Superliner that Dad bought new came with the old style bubble back Mack mirrors.Actually,the old style mirrors are better in my opinion.The plastic ends on the Bulldog mirrors will crack in time,then the mirror gets wobbly.

The mirrors with the 1/2 Bulldogs were first a Mack Western option and came around in the mid '70's.,you could either get chrome dogs,gold dogs,or you could even get gold mirrors instead of the polished aluminum.I got my Dad a set for his '78 Cruiseliner and at that time had to order them as our dealer only stocked the old style bubble back mirrors.I don't know when they became a standard item,but the '85 Superliner that Dad bought new came with the old style bubble back Mack mirrors.Actually,the old style mirrors are better in my opinion.The plastic ends on the Bulldog mirrors will crack in time,then the mirror gets wobbly.

That's great to know as I prefer the old bubble back ones myself. Although this truck was always a Texas truck and never seen any salt, the 1/2 bulldog mirror is oxidized with the dog pitted. I have a new pair of both styles so will install the bubble back ones. This truck is very "fleet spec" with no real amenities except factory air conditioning, and power steering.

Thanks,

Rob

I agree with superdog on this one,i like the looks of the flat bulldog mirrors,but for practicality,relieability the old style bubble back mirrors are the best,their tough,stay put,dont shake or wobble if mounted properly........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I agree with superdog on this one,i like the looks of the flat bulldog mirrors,but for practicality,relieability the old style bubble back mirrors are the best,their tough,stay put,dont shake or wobble if mounted properly........Mark

I had the flat bulldog mirrors on both of my Midliner carriers. I liked them because they were heated. That was about the only reason however. They oxidized and did not look "new" for very long operating in the Chicago atmosphere during winter.

My 1989 Midliner came with painted bubble back mirrors and arms. I changed to the stainless and bulldog mirrors. I still have the originals in the basement.

Never had any problems with vibration as those trucks really were smooth in operation.

Rob