My First Mixer

bullhusk

ColonialTruck0001.pdfMy first mixer

1962 International Emeryville 238 Detroit (671) 5x4 double over 65000 lb bucket rears Hendrx. Walking beam rubber mount suspension top speed 65 mph. 11 yd Rex top load horizonital mixer chain chute (no hyd. chute).This was my first Concrete truck, the year was 1971 I drove that truck for 2 years before I got a Crane Carrier with a Smith 12 yder. hi/boy self loader with hyd chutes!! that had a 238 also with a 10 speed over R/R with a 3 speed OD. aux. The company was Colonial Sand & Stone Co out of NYC a great Co. to work for at that time An "What a Time It Was"

BULLHUSK Ernie

1962 International Emeryville 238 Detroit (671) 5x4 double over 65000 lb bucket rears Hendrx. Walking beam rubber mount suspension top speed 65 mph. 11 yd Rex top load horizonital mixer chain chute (no hyd. chute).This was my first Concrete truck, the year was 1971 I drove that truck for 2 years before I got a Crane Carrier with a Smith 12 yder. hi/boy self loader with hyd chutes!! that had a 238 also with a 10 speed over R/R with a 3 speed OD. aux. The company was Colonial Sand & Stone Co out of NYC a great Co. to work for at that time An "What a Time It Was"

BULLHUSK Ernie

That would sure be something to have and show now. Never seen a combination like it before.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I remember seeing some of these Emeryvilles in Pittsburgh, after BVBS had bought them. The mixers had been replaced by then.

I have a question about the deep mixer subframe - what was the purpose? Was this to get the loading height higher, similar to that of the big Autocars?

Great photo, thanks!

B81,

The reason for the deep subframe was to get the UNLOADING height higher, a lot of trucks with this type of mixer had 2 big pistions mounted at the rear in between the frame to lift the back end of the mixer another 2 ft. The thing about these mixers was, the mixer was flat (horz.) on top were two hatch covers you would remove before loading,then you would pull under the loading bin get your sand & stone 2 drops 5.5 in each hatch hole,then you would shake it down an pull under the cement bin for your portland cement after loading you would climb up the ladder onto the foot rail an put your hatch covers back on. Now the reason for this type of loading? If you didn't turn that drum you could save the load, it wasn't mixed! if you were the last load on lets say a 2 or 3 or 4 hundred yd. pour you did not mix that truck, if they didn't need your load you got your ticket signed an went back to the yard an used it the next day, I've seen trucks parked for as long as 1 week! also note. the 500 gal. water tank so you did not have to put water in the drum when loading, the met. stayed dry untill you added it when mixing.

BULLHUSK

BULLHUSK Ernie

Neat picture ernie! thats one hell of a lookin'truck right there!...did'nt colonial have some H-models at one time?...........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Guest 45LMSWM

Beaver Valley Builders Supply ran H81s, Emeryville COEs, and Autocar DC103 mixers from Colonial as well. I believe the H81s were former Bryan Concrete units, but I may be mistaken.

There was a really neat article in Double Clutch a while back that covered the Auction at BVBS. There was also an article in Mack Bulldog about BVBS rebuilding the colonial LMSWXs. I believe the LMSWXs were all former Metro Mix units as stated in a previous post. One interesting note, the LMs had Timken rears in them, not sure if this was original or not.

Roger Gerhart purchased at least (3) of the LMs and one of the H81s at the BVBS auction. The H81 has since been sold to Dick Best, who has cosmetically restored the truck.

-John

John,

Would you know were any of those Emeryville's are?? Also I spoke to Gerhart yesterday about the LM's. What we want to do is find an old Colonial S&S truck & mixer an restore the truck with its orig. red white & green cab & frame (Italian flag)along with the Navy Gray drum. As I have stated before I worked for Colonial even after they sold out, the new owners kept the Colonial name. I left in 87 to do what I'm still doing today. If you know anything about Colonial S&S they were around in the 30's right up into the mid 70's. they owned there own Tugboats (Bronx Towing) barges, Quarrys, Cement mill Kingston NY (Hudson Cement)& most of the sand pits in Port Washington LI NY an a whole bunch of other stuff that the Pope family had intrest in. There were hundreds an I do mean hundreds of ther trucks around the NY Metro area, But try an find a 15yd Colonial Mixer today?? BULLHUSK

Beaver Valley Builders Supply ran H81s, Emeryville COEs, and Autocar DC103 mixers from Colonial as well. I believe the H81s were former Bryan Concrete units, but I may be mistaken.

There was a really neat article in Double Clutch a while back that covered the Auction at BVBS. There was also an article in Mack Bulldog about BVBS rebuilding the colonial LMSWXs. I believe the LMSWXs were all former Metro Mix units as stated in a previous post. One interesting note, the LMs had Timken rears in them, not sure if this was original or not.

Roger Gerhart purchased at least (3) of the LMs and one of the H81s at the BVBS auction. The H81 has since been sold to Dick Best, who has cosmetically restored the truck.

-John

There is also the remains of a yellow H-81 near the bone yard. Its is sad shape but I believe it could be bought back.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Guest 45LMSWM

There is also the remains of a yellow H-81 near the bone yard. Its is sad shape but I believe it could be bought back.

The H81 in Gerhart's yard is an ex. Lawrence Ready Mix truck from Mass. Lawrence has since been bought out by Boston Sand & Gravel.

From what I was told, the Lawrence truck was used for spare parts for Dick Best's ex BVBS/ex Colonial H81. When they finished the H81, what was left of the Lawrence truck made its way back to Lititz.

-John

Guest 45LMSWM

John,

Would you know were any of those Emeryville's are?? Also I spoke to Gerhart yesterday about the LM's. What we want to do is find an old Colonial S&S truck & mixer an restore the truck with its orig. red white & green cab & frame (Italian flag)along with the Navy Gray drum. As I have stated before I worked for Colonial even after they sold out, the new owners kept the Colonial name. I left in 87 to do what I'm still doing today. If you know anything about Colonial S&S they were around in the 30's right up into the mid 70's. they owned there own Tugboats (Bronx Towing) barges, Quarrys, Cement mill Kingston NY (Hudson Cement)& most of the sand pits in Port Washington LI NY an a whole bunch of other stuff that the Pope family had intrest in. There were hundreds an I do mean hundreds of ther trucks around the NY Metro area, But try an find a 15yd Colonial Mixer today?? BULLHUSK

I was never lucky enough to get out to BVBS. My brother had been there in the late 80s and took some pics from a distance. There were Emeryvilles, at least one H81, and several Autocars in the pics. There is also a pic on Flickr taken recently somewhere out in western PA of a DM800 and another mixer still in BVBS colors. I have heard that most of the Autocars were sold for scrap at the auction. Al Cypress in Jersey City scrapped a lot of the DC103s as well back in the 80s. I have pics of them in his yard, less barrels, still in Colonial colors.

The (3) ex Colonial LMSWXs at Gerhart's are in pretty rough shape. But, then again, so is everything I own. They would take a lot of work to bring back to life but that would be an awesome project. I have never seen an LMSWX redone, only ever saw one other than those 3 at a show.

My brother and I did find a very large horizontal barrel out in Mushroom country a few years back. Was mounted on an ex fire truck chassis. No doubt it was from NYC originally. Had to be every bit of 14 yds capacity.

-John

That BVBS DM800 photo appeared to be where the shop was. There is a pre-cast plant on that site now, but the trucks now appear to be in the yard of Wine Constuction on the other side of the road, where Wine runs a bunch of DM690's out of the old BVBS plant. I will try to swing by there the next time I am in Pittsburgh.

If you use Google earth and go to 1004 Big Sewickley Creek Rd, Bell Acres, PA, you'll see the plant and trucks. Dial the time back to 1993, and the property is full of something around 100 neatly parked trucks, likely pre-auction.