Western Star Dump

other dog

Randy found this Western Star dump truck...he could move a lot of dirt in a day with this monster!..no way he could give up his Mack though...could he?

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=2046327

looks a lot like the ones I saw at the port in Seattle.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Pretty rugged looking truck(s) there. Doe's anybody know what type of planetaries they're using in these?

Dog, u is just a genius! thanks, looking at that truck makes me drool more than i usually do. I dont know rhasler , says they are 100,000 lb rear end though, i could give them satellite gears a good warming up where im working now, Thanks Dog, will mail you some ice cream,,,heh heh,,,randy

looks a lot like the ones I saw at the port in Seattle.

The story I heard Dog, one person ordered them for his contstruction co. in Peru, paid cash for 30 of them, then something went awry in the deal somewhere, dont member what though. That one is located in dallas at freightline dealer. randy

Westernstar offers these trucks as a complete package for companies looking for a cost effective alternative to expensive off road dump trucks from CAT, Liebherr, Komatsu etc. If you go to Westernstars website, you will see a link at the bottom for the 40 ton dump truck. The spec sheet does not list axle manufacturer, but I suspect it might be Meritor. And a quick check on Meritor's site shows that some of their heavy duty axles are made by a Chinese construction equipment manufacturer, ugh. The suspension is Chalmers.

Mack could offer the same package using either the Granite or Titan.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

And a quick check on Meritor's site shows that some of their heavy duty axles are made by a Chinese construction equipment manufacturer, ugh. The suspension is Chalmers.

I have seen some other "Brand X" trucks with (I think) a Korean made planetary differential that didn't last and cost way too much to repair. Same thoughts on the Chalmers suspension, otherwise I still think it's a pretty decent looking truck.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Westernstar offers these trucks as a complete package for companies looking for a cost effective alternative to expensive off road dump trucks from CAT, Liebherr, Komatsu etc. If you go to Westernstars website, you will see a link at the bottom for the 40 ton dump truck. The spec sheet does not list axle manufacturer, but I suspect it might be Meritor. And a quick check on Meritor's site shows that some of their heavy duty axles are made by a Chinese construction equipment manufacturer, ugh. The suspension is Chalmers.

Mack could offer the same package using either the Granite or Titan.

Yeah Thaddeus, I will take that in a Granite Package! I just gotta figure out a way to pay for it,,,randy

I have seen some other "Brand X" trucks with (I think) a Korean made planetary differential that didn't last and cost way too much to repair. Same thoughts on the Chalmers suspension, otherwise I still think it's a pretty decent looking truck.

I imagine the demand is so low they are looking to cut costs and outsource heavy axle production. I wonder if the Clark/Dana axles are still made here too.

Too bad Mack does not make the Planidrive axles anymore.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I imagine the demand is so low they are looking to cut costs and outsource heavy axle production. I wonder if the Clark/Dana axles are still made here too.

Too bad Mack does not make the Planidrive axles anymore.

There was a mine looking for parts for an SR70/80 differential in an RD800 haul truck they had. The parts for it were no longer available. The report I heard was that they replaced the truck with some Caterpillar equipment.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

There was a mine looking for parts for an SR70/80 differential in an RD800 haul truck they had. The parts for it were no longer available. The report I heard was that they replaced the truck with some Caterpillar equipment.

Rhasler, the mine I retired from was still running 1971 model DART haul trucks. They had 4 still running and probably had that many more scattered around the "hog" yard in various stages of disassembly for parts. I worked at different mine sites for the same company, the first site I worked was running mid or late 60 model long nosed EUCLIDS with V12 cummins. Those were some really fun trucks to drive! When they retired them they went to brand new 777 cats with belly dump trailers. heh heh,,several venders drug different brand dozers through the gates for testing and to try to sell, but nobody could push CAT aside on the dozer part. Marathon Letourneau tried their "test" unit one time and it took 2 weeks to get it unstuck and back out the gate,,LOL. The strip mine is a really good proving ground for equipment. randy