Master Link

41chevy

I located new "Tru Roller" bulk chain for the drives of my AC, matched up the primary drive sprockets with new industrial ones from Beardsley Transmission (had to cut a Woodruf kay groove). Now the question. The Master Link clips... the open end goes away from the direction of drive , or towards it?? The chains were cut off when the truck was delivered to me so I had no reference on the chains. Thanks Paul

post-3242-087975400 1283301041_thumb.gif

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I located new "Tru Roller" bulk chain for the drives of my AC, matched up the primary drive sprockets with new industrial ones from Beardsley Transmission (had to cut a Woodruf kay groove). Now the question. The Master Link clips... the open end goes away from the direction of drive , or towards it?? The chains were cut off when the truck was delivered to me so I had no reference on the chains. Thanks Paul

post-3242-087975400 1283301041_thumb.gif

The rounded end of the master link, (if a slider lock) will go with the main direction of travel in operation. A master link with a lock plate will used two cotter pins and does not matter for direction as it is equal in strenth with either direction. This type is used mostly for power transmission when the loading is reversible such as your use.

I would not use the slide locking type in your application.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I agree with not using the slide lock when I thought about it. I'm now on a quest for the cotter pin type master link. So far I stated at Breadsley and Granger, next week I'll be near a Tractor Suppy store and try there also. Thanks Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I agree with not using the slide lock when I thought about it. I'm now on a quest for the cotter pin type master link. So far I stated at Breadsley and Granger, next week I'll be near a Tractor Suppy store and try there also. Thanks Paul

What size drive chain are you using, 90, 120, 150, 180? Find a local bearing distributor the represents Martin, Browning, Silent, etc. chain manufacturers and they will have what you need.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Breadsley in Mineola Long Island has the in stock. (I should have got them when I got the chain) I'll pick them up Friday before the Hurrican hits. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Breadsley in Mineola Long Island has the in stock. (I should have got them when I got the chain) I'll pick them up Friday before the Hurrican hits. Paul

Glad you found resolution.

Rob

Glad you found resolution.

Rob

Thank to the answer you gave.......never even remotly thought about the master link with pins. I thought that they were industrial for machine drives and such. This truck is a great teacher. The magneto when I cleaned it hit me like a stun gun, my hair finally lost the Buck wheat look. Got lucky with the transaxle, it was pumped full of greae and just cleaned it , checked the bearings and resealed it. Next project for the winter is disassemble the springs and clean and add Teflon pads between the leaves, King pins and create a set of radiators. Hope to have a running chassis by this time next year. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE