Just A Update...

Hey guys. It's been almost a year since my last update around my Mack project. I wanted to post a few misc pics around what I have been doing. Just go give a little back ground... I had two Macks a B42S and a B53S. The B42 had a great cab and body work, but the frame had been hacked and the rears were in bade shape. The B53 I bought from the local ready mix company here in Loveland. They were still using it as a yard dog but the rear suspension had two massive cracks. We did the body work on the B42 cab and that is pretty much done and in storage.

The B53 is under the knife. I like long trucks. I know a lot of people like to shorten their trucks, but I like them long. So I extended the frame on the B53 by 9 feet giving me a total length of 31 feet end to end. The plan is, I will have a 5 foot sleeper, and then be able to put on a 15 foot flat bed on the back. The pictures show the sleeper sitting on the truck. To this point I had been dealing with just Mack trucks, but my friend had a 72 GMC that he let me cut up for the rear sections. The rear axle now has 4.11 gears, and along with the quadruplex I will have enough gearing to do everything I am looking for.

We were able to slide the GMC frame inside the Mack frame. The GMC frame goes just over 5 feet into the Mack frame. After bolting and welding I am very happy with how this came together.

The pictures are just some misc pictures I took here and there. They aren't in any real order... Sorry... But I hope to have more soon. Let me know what you guys think!

http://www.oldmacktruck.com/updates/083110/

Josh

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! It's coming along. I have more pictures, but I am waiting on the drive shaft. It's being balanced right now. Once I get that back and installed I will post some more.

You have done a lot of work there.

I am sure you will enjoy running at highway speeds with the new gearing.

Today was a busy dirty day. I spent 3 hours blasting 40+ years of grim off the engine and trans of the B-53. I have a friend that loaned me his hotzy which helped make good work of the backed on grim. We are soaking the engine in degreaser right now trying to get through the last few layers. I took some random pictures...

http://oldmacktruck.com/updates/092610/

If anyone has any good tips on trying to get the engine as clean as possible without taking it out of the rails would be much appreciated!!!

--Josh

Today was a busy dirty day. I spent 3 hours blasting 40+ years of grim off the engine and trans of the B-53. I have a friend that loaned me his hotzy which helped make good work of the backed on grim. We are soaking the engine in degreaser right now trying to get through the last few layers. I took some random pictures...

http://oldmacktruck.com/updates/092610/

If anyone has any good tips on trying to get the engine as clean as possible without taking it out of the rails would be much appreciated!!!

--Josh

Try this: http://zep.com/products/products.aspx?CatalogMode=1&CategoryID=2&SearchTerm=morado

We use this in our floor cleaning machine. It does an exceptional job on aluminum, particularly transmission bell housings.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

• 2 weeks later...

I got the new drive shaft back this week... Man, I have more money into this then I have into the entire truck so far....

It's nuts what it costs to have driveshaft work done at a machine shop. I've had several and still hurt from the effects.

Rob

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 1 month later...