Help With Tailgate Issue

Hey Guys,

Need some help and input on a tailgate issue I have. I purchased the 97 Mack RD688 tri axle dump used. It has a 17' 6" Aluminum dump body on it. The guy I purchased it from switched the original tailgate over to a steel tailgate so he could haul concrete, stupid idea on his part with the aluminum bed. Anyway, he said he did not have the original gate anymore. The Steel gate is just a little bit smaller than the opening on the bed so I have about a 1/2" gap on either sides of the gate to the body. So, I need some input as to what I could use to close up this gap so I dont leak any material. I had a guy weld some angle iron on it. He put it along the edge on the inside of the gate. But he said he did not want to put it all the way up tight because if the gate shifted just a little when I dump a load, then I might not get it shut again. I can get where he is coming from, but that does not help my problem with still having a gap. I searched online for some sort of rubber seal or something. About 3 different patents popped up for this very thing, but no companies came up that offer something like this. I figured there has to be something like this out there, or maybe one of you guys have an idea. I thought about finding some sort of heavy rubber, maybe like the stuff they make the mud flaps out of, and screwing it on to gate so when it closes, that would close up the gaps.

Any input?????

Check garbage truck body companies. Heil, McNeilus. Front end trucks have a heavy duty seal for tailgate.

I found seal at a company that builds roll-off boxes. They have a heavy duty seal for haz-mat boxes and you just roll it out and cut to length. It's thick enough to seal a 1" crack.

Ok try again.

Any kind of rubber seal that you could create, would probably not last, "Till the water gets hot". The tailgate should lap over, or cap over the body opening by about 5/8 of an in. on each side. Are you having to deal with a gap on the bottom as well? The gizmo above the gate latch appears to function as a chain hook, as well as a guide for the gate. Is the body that flexible? Any thing you do to the gate to correct the gap will probably necessitate moving the chain hook to the side of the body, and modifying and rehanging the tailgate. As a temporary repair you might consider welding a 1/2 X 1 in strip inside the body, against the gate, then capping over it with a 1/4 by 4 in. strip to taper the inside of the body to the gate.

Hey Guys,

Need some help and input on a tailgate issue I have. I purchased the 97 Mack RD688 tri axle dump used. It has a 17' 6" Aluminum dump body on it. The guy I purchased it from switched the original tailgate over to a steel tailgate so he could haul concrete, stupid idea on his part with the aluminum bed. Anyway, he said he did not have the original gate anymore. The Steel gate is just a little bit smaller than the opening on the bed so I have about a 1/2" gap on either sides of the gate to the body. So, I need some input as to what I could use to close up this gap so I dont leak any material. I had a guy weld some angle iron on it. He put it along the edge on the inside of the gate. But he said he did not want to put it all the way up tight because if the gate shifted just a little when I dump a load, then I might not get it shut again. I can get where he is coming from, but that does not help my problem with still having a gap. I searched online for some sort of rubber seal or something. About 3 different patents popped up for this very thing, but no companies came up that offer something like this. I figured there has to be something like this out there, or maybe one of you guys have an idea. I thought about finding some sort of heavy rubber, maybe like the stuff they make the mud flaps out of, and screwing it on to gate so when it closes, that would close up the gaps.

Any input?????

The right way would be to build a new tailgate of the proper dimensions.

Temporarily you could get some 1/2" 0r 5/8" square stock and with the gate in the latched position, weld it to the sides of the gate so it is tight against rhe dump body opening. If the square stock interferes with those spreader chain hooks you may have to trim the pieces at the point of interference just enough to give clearance.

Unless you only haul "fine" materials like sand & topsoil, forget the rubber gaskets, they wouldn't last a fartin' spell!

Do get it fixed up though, that's just a broken windshield insurance claim, or D.O.T. spillage citation waiting to happen!

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"