Mack Ac Engine Start

41chevy

I've finally gotten all the machine work done on my AC engine and am staring to assemble it. The in question I have is oil. I've a 30's AC canister oil filter unit,made the bracket and line up.My question is do I use non detergent oil or since the engine is fresh and now has an oil filter can I use detergent oil? The shop that did the machine work gave me a blank look when I asked. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Non Detergent will give you buildup after a while from heat & carbon. Detergent oil keeps the inside of your engine clean an prevent this from happening. Your oil filter will catch the dirt the detergents clean fron your engine,I would not go below a 15/40 BULLHUSK

Hi,

The theory on non-detergent oil vs. detergent is, detergent oil is designed to suspend the dirt and contaminates in the oil to be filtered by the oil filter. Non-detergent is engineered to let the particulate matter settle to the bottom of the case where it will build up, and will need to be serviced eventually. As for your engine, I guess the the placement of the filter is the question, If it is full flow type meaning that the oil goes from the sump to the oil pump and through the oil filter before it makes it's way to the lubrication system, It definitely be a detergent system. If the filter is plumbed to a gallery of the engine and then dumps to the sump, I would say it should have non-detergent oil. If the oil has the dirt suspended and can go to the bearings, I would think it would harm them. I have never had the honor of working on a Mack AC engine, but I have noticed that alot of the old engines in equipment and trucks have a plate to remove on the pan to clean the "sludge" out near the pickup screen on the pan for maintenance.

B61fred

15 gears...no waiting!

Thank you both for your answers, The oil is Detergent with a Zinc Additive for Cam wear. It goes along with my gut feelings. The AC Delco filter kit was made for the Mack and a few other truck engines of the 30's / 40's. I modified the mouting bracket to move the filter to a more "hidden spot", the lines I remade with Aeroquip hoses and lengthened. The filter will pick up about 85 / 90%+ of contaminants. Paul

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE