Put Put Cummins

james j neiweem

When I was a we lad truck spotting in Illinois Macks Whites and Cornbinders were king. One thing I have always wondered was why the IH DC 405 cab overs with the Cummins 220's had a unique put put sound as opposed to a smoother sound in say a white 9000 with a 220. Some of CF's cab over freightliners also had this put put sound. You could definately tell when a 405 cornbinder was comming by the sound. This sound disappeared when the IH 4000's came along. I think most of these were Cummins 250's. :thumb:

When I wa a we lad truck spotting in Illinois Macks Whites and Cornbinders were king. One thing I have always wondered was why the IH DC 405 cab overs with the Cummins 220's had a unique put put sound as opposed to a smoother sound in say a white 9000 with a 220. Some of CF's cab over freightliners also had this put put sound. You could definately tell when a 405 cornbinder was comming by the sound. This sound disappeared when the IH 4000's came along. I think most of these were Cummins 250's. :thumb:

You must be speaking of the 1956-1959 timeframe of IH trucks. The Cummins motors of that era used a split manifold that yeilded a sound that was definately their own. Under a hard pull they would actually glow red. The rear most cylinder was a separate pulse into the exhaust manifold making the characteristic sound you remember. It was most prevelant in the IH trucks due to exhaust routing of the chassis.

My uncles have spoken of that exact "sound" numerous times.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks Rob. I have always wondered about this. It's always nice to fill in these little trucking tid bits. 1956-1959 would be about the right time frame. Its funny the 673 had a split manifold but it was a smoother sound. Also I think the white mustang gas engines had split manifolds. Actually these white gas engines had a great exhaust sound, a very deep rumble that would raise and lower under load. The mack gasers were kind of bland by comparison. AS I recall the IH RD gas engines had a nice low roar but not quite as pronounced as the white gasers. :thumb:

You must be speaking of the 1956-1959 timeframe of IH trucks. The Cummins motors of that era used a split manifold that yeilded a sound that was definately their own. Under a hard pull they would actually glow red. The rear most cylinder was a separate pulse into the exhaust manifold making the characteristic sound you remember. It was most prevelant in the IH trucks due to exhaust routing of the chassis.

My uncles have spoken of that exact "sound" numerous times.

Rob

My dad would agree with Rob on this, he ran an emeryville (DC-405) for a good number of years and he spoke of this sound often, he ran sleeper team out of NJ, a round trip to FL every week for ARMELLINI express, air freight south, then a return load of fresh cut flowers out of pompano beach with multiple stops up the eastern seaboard. pop said when you "got er' wound up" the exaust manifold would glow cherry red! he said the extra "heat" was nice in the winter! did'nt do them a lot of good in the summer though! he LOVED the emeryville (DC- series IH's)he said with the cummins, was about one of the best trucks he ever drove ! the split manifold Rob mentioned was responsible for that distinctive sound known to most all old-time drivers..................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.