Tag- Along Trailers

My cousin is willing to give me a 1989 Eager Beaver 10 ton tag- along with Air Brakes. It needs little to no work. But i will paint it to match my truck. But i can do the painting myself. My truck is all set-up already to pull a tag-along. The only thing i would have to do is move his back-hoe for him 2-3 times a year for nothing.

I know 10ton is kinda small to move equipment for other people. I wish it was a 20ton or even 25 ton with the 3rd lift axle. Them tags are sweet. So anyway my question is. I can move Case back-hoes and skid steers etc. What would be a good hourly rate for something like this. 85/90hr?? What about Insurance? My cousin told me his insurance guy told him if its hooked to the truck it is covered. As of now i have no cargo insurance which i know i will need. Maybe i can start out with this smaller tag and if i can get enough work maybe i can go out and buy a bigger one. My old boss use to move alot of back-hoes and small dozer's for alot of landscapers that don't have big enough trucks to move them. Give me some ideas??? Tell me what you think

100_0406.jpg100_0301.jpg

My Facebook.

Feel free to add me as a friend. Just tell me your from BMT.

My cousin is willing to give me a 1989 Eager Beaver 10 ton tag- along with Air Brakes. It needs little to no work. But i will paint it to match my truck. But i can do the painting myself. My truck is all set-up already to pull a tag-along. The only thing i would have to do is move his back-hoe for him 2-3 times a year for nothing.

I know 10ton is kinda small to move equipment for other people. I wish it was a 20ton or even 25 ton with the 3rd lift axle. Them tags are sweet. So anyway my question is. I can move Case back-hoes and skid steers etc. What would be a good hourly rate for something like this. 85/90hr?? What about Insurance? My cousin told me his insurance guy told him if its hooked to the truck it is covered. As of now i have no cargo insurance which i know i will need. Maybe i can start out with this smaller tag and if i can get enough work maybe i can go out and buy a bigger one. My old boss use to move alot of back-hoes and small dozer's for alot of landscapers that don't have big enough trucks to move them. Give me some ideas??? Tell me what you think

A skid steer can be moved on a bumper pull trailer behind a full size pickup. My F250 didn't even slow down with that set-up pulling the hill in town. A 10 ton trailer is still 20,000 pounds. I doubt a case back hoe comes anywhere NEAR that. Heck, my 8N (with front loader, liquid filled tires, and a blade on the rear) would be hard pressed to even push a scale to 3000.

If you want to haul other people's stuff, you'll need cargo insurance (or risk buying/repairing/replacing the equipment out of your own pocket if you damage it)...and that cargo insurance should be enough to cover whatever you are hauling.

As for the rate, your service is only worth what you can find other people to pay you...if you agree to work for that amount. If you can get $80-$90/hour, great. If people are only willing to pay $60 in your area, that's all you'll be able to get...so you would have to look at your expenses and what you need to be profitable and make the decision if you can run for that. The only way to know for sure is to talk to other guys doing what you want to do and find out what they charge (that is IF they are willing to tell you their rates knowing you are going into competition with them) or talk to guys who need equipment moved and find out what they typically pay. Every area will be different, so the rate around here may not be high enough for you wherever you are...and someone else's rate where they are may be too high for you to get work in your home town.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

A skid steer can be moved on a bumper pull trailer behind a full size pickup. My F250 didn't even slow down with that set-up pulling the hill in town. A 10 ton trailer is still 20,000 pounds. I doubt a case back hoe comes anywhere NEAR that. Heck, my 8N (with front loader, liquid filled tires, and a blade on the rear) would be hard pressed to even push a scale to 3000.

If you want to haul other people's stuff, you'll need cargo insurance (or risk buying/repairing/replacing the equipment out of your own pocket if you damage it)...and that cargo insurance should be enough to cover whatever you are hauling.

As for the rate, your service is only worth what you can find other people to pay you...if you agree to work for that amount. If you can get $80-$90/hour, great. If people are only willing to pay $60 in your area, that's all you'll be able to get...so you would have to look at your expenses and what you need to be profitable and make the decision if you can run for that. The only way to know for sure is to talk to other guys doing what you want to do and find out what they charge (that is IF they are willing to tell you their rates knowing you are going into competition with them) or talk to guys who need equipment moved and find out what they typically pay. Every area will be different, so the rate around here may not be high enough for you wherever you are...and someone else's rate where they are may be too high for you to get work in your home town.

Thanks rebel. I was on Cases website and a 590 comes in at just over 15,000lbs. Cat Backhoes are some heavy SOBs. I know my old boss use to get around 105/hr for a 30ton lowboy. I know a guy with a 20ton tag that gets 95/hr for moves. So thats kinda what im basing my hourly rate on. I will get cargo insurance for sure. Im not going to take that much of a risk. We will see how it goes. My one buddy who is a landscaper i know for a fact i can move his back-hoe and D3 dozer. Cuz right now he hires a guy to move it.

100_0406.jpg100_0301.jpg

My Facebook.

Feel free to add me as a friend. Just tell me your from BMT.

with a 10 ton, just set a limit on the unit type/size. Cat D4 size max. Backhoe JD 410. Skid steers only max 12,000 Cat 299.

You have adjusted your rate to the trailer capability.

Like rowdy said, figure your costs. Time, fuel, wear and tear(tires, other repairs). If at the end you made a buck you made a buck. If it costs more than your making, try to adjust your rate up a little or leave it(hauling). Don't forget, cargo ins. is DIRECTLY a cost to the transport costs.

Small trailers like that can be good for tight locations. Get some 6x6 blocks about 2 foot long. help make the loading angle alittle better for backhoes and dozers.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian