Hi folks,

I thought I would tell you a brief story about my adventure with CT DMV the other day. I needed to register a dump trailer that I had purchased. This trailer is a 1979. I had been looking for something old enough to qualify for antique registration that was in decent condition. So off to DMV I went. After explaining my intent to a few people there they gave me the forms to fill out. Then came my turn at the counter. There seemed to be a little confusion about what I wanted to do. Then there were several trips the clerk had to make to ask the supervisor questions. Then the answer came back "we don't make antique plates for trailers". But hey said if it was not commercial and for my own use I could register it as a "Camp Trailer". So I walked out of DMV with a strange smile and registration for a 80,000lb camp trailer. I wonder what the police will think? :D

Chuck

I ran into the same thing. NYS DMV doesn't allow antique or historical trailer plates..argh... so my truck got historical plates and insurance from gulfway...no trailer yet but looking at some old tub dumps ..same idea you had. I need to go get your dump body soon too CML..

Thanks

Deo

Keep on keeping on...

Hey Guys, Just a thought from my wife who is a N.Y.S. Dept. of Motor Vehicle clerk, Just becuse you got plates doesnt mean that it's legal, Camper or Historical or Classic type plates are NOT for hire or to carry weight in a commercial capacity. if the Police or D.O.T. catch you they might have a problem with the trailer if it's loaded or being used to haul material of any type, or being used for a business type operation. and yes you are still subject to D.O.T. roadside inspections as a "Heavy Vechicle" at any time it's on a highway. B)

yup empire state dog you are correct in that if used commercially the historical plates are no good..i don't plan to use it historicall just haul my own stuff to my property etc and to shows..in fact that is how the insurance is to its invalid if used for a commercial purpose, but you are allowed to haull stuff for yourself to your own property etc ie if I load a load of gravel for my own driveway its not a problem ..but if i do that for my neighbor its a BIG problem. If i use my trailer to haul a car or truck to a car show its not aproblem either. you still need the heavy duty inspection and you are still subject to the HDDV diesel emission roadside tests also..only a few exceptions there... like special commercial plates etc.....any how I do the enforcement for a living, and I did my research on getting my truck legally on the road when its done. which is gonna be awhile , unless i find a money tree.. ha funds are streched.

Thanks

Deo

Keep on keeping on...

Deo,your so correct about the money tree, i know that feeling well, I just hate to see guys get into a heap of trouble because they were misinformed or just because they got plates they think there legal. Ive been involved with heavy towing for over 25 years and i have personally towed and impounded alot of guys hauling with the wrong paperwork or wrong plates or messed up tax permits. Not to metion just plain unsafe trucks for one reason or another. it's a shame to see the looks on there faces when they find out how much a police heavy tow call costs. I work very closely with the D.O.T. and they have no choice many times but to have the unit towed when its not legal. We can thank bogus lawsuits and the civil courts for that. The DOT is just doing there job. But hey enough of that. Good luck with your project and remember to have fun when you get out and go down the road, take er easy E.S.D. :)

yeah down when I was in the City it was over a grand for a impound tow... we had a bunch of em .. Meeker and McGuiness ...ha it was one of our favorite spots .. any how, I transfered north, and maybe some day I'll be up your way.... yeah my rig may jsut end up being sold ..as I can barely afford to find the parts for it and 2 kids with 1 on the way and only 1 bread winner ya need to be REAL creative on finding parts and paying for them. Tires and Fuel are th ereal scary parts for me ..the rest isn't too bad especailly if it just recreational. Did you read the last Wheels of Time?.. that one guy said he spent $1500 on fuel one way to Baltimore..damn...

Thanks

keep em safe

Deo

Keep on keeping on...