Got A Question On A Piece Of Equipment:

Rob

Alright, serious for a bit here. As you guys know I hurt my back pretty bad just before Christmas and have been recovering since. Well Momma has had just about enough of me "milking" this for all it's worth, and is threatening to start whittling on my implant, so I need to get busy.

I purchased a used OTC "Back Buddy" brake drum handler and it has three sets of adapters. One set is for inboard hubs, another set for outboard hubs, then another set. What other type of hub assembly is out there, or is the third set for Dayton style hubs? I've purchased it from an estate and it is in transit with an arrival scheduled on Thursday.

I ain't about to wrench the back again. Was a painful lesson learned this time. After telling the physical therapist I see twice a week that I don't lift hardly anything any longer citing my improvement, and have bought several jacks for the shop to handle the weight he confidently replied, "You're smarter than you look". Without thinking I replied, "How many times you wager raising you, your mom wished she'd kept the baby, instead of the afterbirth"?

After going silent for a few seconds he said; "I don't think I'll do that again because I never know whats going to come out of your mouth"!!

We have been friends and each other's customers for years so no harm done.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob, I think It's for the 5 or 6 spoke wheel's 20"&22" part # on that adapter should be 513925 an the other two would be 26 & 27 inboard & outboard. Unless It's a different adapter ? But I've only seen those three BULLHUSK

Ernie, i believe you are right,we had one of these in our shop,and used the adapter you talked about on dayton type spoke wheels,which was pretty much all we ran at the time..........mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Mark, Ya gota email me ernie67rt@aol.com I'll give ya my cell # so when your up by J.C N.J you could stop by my garage BULLHUSK (Ernie)

Hi Ernie, thanks for the information. Are these things easy to use and set up? I haven't even seen one work except in advertisement and performed just a couple of brake jobs/seals on big trucks in the past. Always used a wide saddle shop jack and blocking to support the drums. Outboard drums are too new for me to have worked with.

After pulling the six drums from the B67 last winter and discovering how unweildy these things can become spurned me to action on this dolly thing. I have all new C/R seals for this truck and don't want to scar or nick them during installation seeing that the front ones were $148.37 each!!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Awe shucks.....and I thought it was for YAMAHA wheels......dang I believe I try too hard.

mike

I think one could throw a Yamaha wheel like a discus compared to trucks.

Rob

Rob, They are E/Z to use and after you use it you'll wonder YYYYY THE HELL!!!! Well enough of that. It should have phenumatic tires on back and casters in front. You should have all the hardware to bolt onto the hub. The most important thing is the TILT and a good floor for your necessary angle. You can adjust your tilt just like a fork lift and just walk it in you know what to do from here. I always like to put grease around the seal before puttin the hub on. OH and also you have about 14" of vert. lift but when you take the drum off I like to set it between 2 4X4 blocks BULLHUSK PS I don't own one but have used one. Most of mine are the newer style drums and we use the same floor jack meth. as you did for the older truck's BULLHUSK

Hi Ernie, I purchased a dual tire dolly from ebay a couple months ago and have not used it yet. It is a chinese unit and of not really good quality. I am going to fashion a tilt for it as there is none. I really have a thing for not scratching newly painted rims/hubs, and these things may help alleviate that.

Thanks,

Rob

Got the "Back Buddy" yesterday afternoon. It is as advertised and seems to work well. After getting onto OTC's website, (otctools.com) and fishing around in there I've found and downloaded a parts breakdown and user instructions. I now know how the adapters fit and where they go.

Only bad thing is the shipper wired it to a pallet really well standing up with the front swivel caster sticking through the slats. The freight company probably hit them with a set of forks when the moved it as one caster is gone, (torn off) and the other is bent severely. With the exception of the broken one being on the floor the forklift driver probably did not know. Accidents happen and it's not big deal or worth a damage claim. A couple $5.00 casters and all will be good.

I can see where the adjustability of this thing will save the back and wheel end seals.

Rob