Engine Shuts Down

I need some help figuring out a Cummins M-11 engine shut down problem.

I know this is a Mack site, but since my CH-613 runs like a tank and does not break down I don't tipically need this type of help.

Here is the issue: Once the M-11 warms up it will hesitate and sometimes shut down intermitantly. It will crank back up however. It shuts down both at idle and under a load.

I replaced the fuel solenoid. Still have the same problem.

The fuel caps are locked, I have the only key and all fuel is filtered to 10 microns with a Cintek hydrosorb and particulate filter so I don't think fuel quality is an issue.

I'm thinking its the fuel pump or worse, the ECM. I have also heard others say that it may be the engine position sensor or engine crank sensor.

I welcome and appreciate any comments.

You need to get to a dealer or some one with a reader and read the ecm for codes and then let them tell you what they mean. Other wise ne one can do nothen but guess. The ecm will leave a code telling what electrial problem if any that has happen in the past and then you can go on to the fuel system after that. But who ever works on it will have to test or otherwise you will be throwing parts at it.Can i have your old selnold?

glenn akers

I need some help figuring out a Cummins M-11 engine shut down problem.

I know this is a Mack site, but since my CH-613 runs like a tank and does not break down I don't tipically need this type of help.

Here is the issue: Once the M-11 warms up it will hesitate and sometimes shut down intermitantly. It will crank back up however. It shuts down both at idle and under a load.

I replaced the fuel solenoid. Still have the same problem.

The fuel caps are locked, I have the only key and all fuel is filtered to 10 microns with a Cintek hydrosorb and particulate filter so I don't think fuel quality is an issue.

I'm thinking its the fuel pump or worse, the ECM. I have also heard others say that it may be the engine position sensor or engine crank sensor.

I welcome and appreciate any comments.

Go to the heavyduty section on this site http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/index.php good info site.the posistion sensor under the compressor somtimes gives problems on these!check your engine grounds and battery conections!

You need to get to a dealer or some one with a reader and read the ecm for codes and then let them tell you what they mean. Other wise ne one can do nothen but guess. The ecm will leave a code telling what electrial problem if any that has happen in the past and then you can go on to the fuel system after that. But who ever works on it will have to test or otherwise you will be throwing parts at it.Can i have your old selnold?

I am happy to give you the old fuel solenoid. But it was replaced about 2 months ago and was thrown away. Sorry.

Thank you for your advice.

I agree with the above comments. However remove your engine position sensor and see if the plug is full of oil. If it is and there is no oil leak above the plug clean off the sensor end and check for damage or cracks in the epoxy coating. If you can't tell if it's cracked, smack it into the palm of your hand and then check for oil. If there is damage or oil regardless whether it tests good or not it's junk and needs to be replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the above comments. However remove your engine position sensor and see if the plug is full of oil. If it is and there is no oil leak above the plug clean off the sensor end and check for damage or cracks in the epoxy coating. If you can't tell if it's cracked, smack it into the palm of your hand and then check for oil. If there is damage or oil regardless whether it tests good or not it's junk and needs to be replaced.

Engine position sensor checked out ok. Broke down and bought a new ECM. Ouch! But, knock wood, she seems to be back to her old self and running fine. Thanks for your input.