All Macks Are Like That.

I understand I need to get a service manual, and am looking around for one. If anyone knows where I can get a 1988 or so TS576 manual for a reasonable price, please let me know.

So, the doors on the truck don't really close tightly. The passenger door was so loose it's rattling was louder than the engine when sitting in the cab when the truck was idling. I looked at the assembly, and noticed that the cam on the door rotates into three positions. One at 9 o'clock, which is open, one about 7 o'clock , and also down to 6 o'clock. I assumed that the cam, when the door was closed, was only rotating to the 7 position, so I moved the catch on the door frame out, hoping that the cam hitting the catch earlier would cause it rotate all the way down. While it does close tighter now, and the rattling is mostly gone, it is still not seated as well as i would like. The driver's door is about the same as this one is now.

Before i open the inside of the door, i was wondering if there were any tricks i should be aware of. It appears that the mechanism is attached to the inside panel, and if I unscrew just the panel, i will get the mechanism still put together to look at. Is there anything else i should be concerned about?

Is there a way to get these doors to close tightly, I assume the way they did when the truck was new, or am i just wasting my time?

Thanks.

Your not wasting your time,the door should close nice and tight,take a look at the door gasket first and make sure it's good if not it's easy to replace it and then try to adjust to latch the way you did,gotta get it just right for a tight close,nothing worse than a rattly door.Good Luck

Your not wasting your time,the door should close nice and tight,take a look at the door gasket first and make sure it's good if not it's easy to replace it and then try to adjust to latch the way you did,gotta get it just right for a tight close,nothing worse than a rattly door.Good Luck

Those doors should be positive in latch engagement and not rattle in the door opening at all. Good perimeter gaskets are paramount for this to happen. They are inexpensive too.

If Macks thinks there is "nothing worse than a rattly door", then he's never had a scorned 230 pound butcher knife wielding woman that knows where he sleeps as I have!!!!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.