Need Galion Expert

randyp

Anybody out there a galion grader expert, particulary 503 series A,,,1969? I have questions.

had a tandem axle galion years ago , that dont make me an expert,but i'll try to answer your ques.

gg2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

GG2 didn't they have the International diesel in em ? BULLHUSK

NOT ALL OF THEM,HAVE SEEN SOME OLDED BUT BIGGER WITH CUMMINS. MY OLD ON HAD A SUPER M MOTOR. MOST OF THE OLDER ONES HAD BINDER MOTORS, MOST GAS.

GG2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

had a tandem axle galion years ago , that dont make me an expert,but i'll try to answer your ques.

gg2

I recently bought a Galion 503 series A with GM-353, 3 speeed forward 1 reverse manual, according to serial number either late 1968 or early 1969. I was checking it out before putting it to work, both tandem boxes a little low, no check plugs on side but atamping on side says where oil level is supposed to be, large 1" fill plugs on top of each tandem box, so devised my own wooden dipstick to get oil levels up, now then, there is a large drain plug at bottom of transmission,but there are no check plugs on either side anywhere I can find, and ii have crawled under it all day looking. The trans has a side mounted shift tower if that helps any, and there are small drain plugs at bottom of each tandem box and a large one in center at back where is guess you would call the differential. I cannot find any other place to check oil in trans, or differential. My question is,,is it possible that this trans, differential, and tandem boxes all share common oil? I have really scratched my head over this one.,,thanks,,,randy

post-4330-127302584307_thumb.jpg

I recently bought a Galion 503 series A with GM-353, 3 speeed forward 1 reverse manual, according to serial number either late 1968 or early 1969. I was checking it out before putting it to work, both tandem boxes a little low, no check plugs on side but atamping on side says where oil level is supposed to be, large 1" fill plugs on top of each tandem box, so devised my own wooden dipstick to get oil levels up, now then, there is a large drain plug at bottom of transmission,but there are no check plugs on either side anywhere I can find, and ii have crawled under it all day looking. The trans has a side mounted shift tower if that helps any, and there are small drain plugs at bottom of each tandem box and a large one in center at back where is guess you would call the differential. I cannot find any other place to check oil in trans, or differential. My question is,,is it possible that this trans, differential, and tandem boxes all share common oil? I have really scratched my head over this one.,,thanks,,,randy

dont know if this helps any but oil level mark on side of tandem boxes is about the middle of the axles,,randy

Randy, GOOGLE your machine make, even the model #, it should give you sites even web's like club's antiques ,owners, and such. I have used Google many times for this sort of stuff. Ernie BULLHUSK

Okay thanks Ernie, will give that a try,,,randy

Okay thanks Ernie, will give that a try,,,randy

I love it when a plan comes together, Im in texas, was given a number of an establishment in springdale, ark., called and I had the honor to get to talk to the "GALION GURU" or the "GALION STALLION", and whatever other honors need to be bestowed on him, he got me lined out on above mentioned problem and questions. He even has a few salvage parts I need also,,wow,,so ever need anything galion, or probably anything else too,,,call Meusers tractor and salvage in springdale, ark. Thanks all,,,,randy

• 1 year later...