What Do You Guys Think Of This Rl700?

I saw this truck on ebay just today and was wondering if that is a cat engine and what is the general consensus about aluminum frames? I herd the aluminum frames are prone to bad rot. Can the truck be re railed with a steel frame? what about the rears, they look to be either 38 or 40's. Can a 44/46 rear easily be swapped under there (im thinking I would need a new set of springs and possibly a trunnion)?

Also I always get confused with the RS/RL 700 models. The RL had an aluminum frame and the RS has a steel frame right? and the L at the end of the 700 means a light weight setup with aluminum cab parts like the doors right?

Thanks!

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

The aluminum frames are usually more rot resistant- however, they are still subject to electrolytic corrosion and some of the chemicals used in concrete can rot them out. Often used truck dealers get confused with all the Mack models and mislabel them, but from the pix that appears to be an aluminum frame and it looks OK. It's possible to replace the frame in any truck, but usually more hassle than it's worth in an old truck

Thad,

I've never seen an R700 series with a CAT engine, but anything's possible, I guess.

If you call customer service at Mack at (610) 709-3011 with the complete VIN, they can tell you what engine the truck originally came with. They can even fax you a line sheet.

Good Luck!

Jeff...

Thats a good looking truck Thad. It at the right price also! I would love that truck parked next to my RS !!!It does look to be a RL looking at the thick rear rails.

Sounds like you got it down with the RS RL diffrences

RS700"L" is a standard designation for lightweight models. I think the alum doors were an added lightweight option.

Like said above Alum rails if not looked after properly can cause problems later on. I would not want a used truck with alum rails and heavy rears for the reason of added stress to the rails. Its not commonly seen to spec a truck with lightweight alum rails for heavy haul use. at least not in my aera. The few RL six wheelers I have seen with alum rails all had frame cracking issues. Just my opinion on your rears spring comment.

Thad with most macks you can use the first few numbers to find the models "standard" version. I cant find a RS/RL755 in my book but for some examples look at Dan Brunos web page for 1977 RS/RL models. http://www.stlouisdumptrucks.com/convoy9-04b_007.htm

A RS/RL786LST will have a 6 cyl 285 hp mack

A RS/RL795LST will have a V8 mack with 325 hp ....etc....

the digits after the model number are most likely the build count. When you get the whole 13 vin number you can contact the mack museum and find out what the truck came equiped with including options from the factory.

I just looked and it again and it looks like that truck will make someone verrrrry happy. wish I had more room. it would look great next to my RS.

Trent