Took these pictures over the week end near Three Mile Island. Bigge Crane & Rigging is getting ready to move this steam generator. The two Mack M45SX's are powered by 16V-71 Detroits, Allison transmissions and 140,000# Mack planetary axles.

They just don't make em like this any more!!

Dave

post-2383-127074801676_thumb.jpg

post-2383-12707480423_thumb.jpg

post-2383-127074806494_thumb.jpg

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

I worked at a nuclear plant in ct for 30 years. I remember a main tramsformer replacement move performed by Hallamore out of Mass. The move was from a barge up an incline to the plant. A Mack similar to these (maybee an M25) with a V-16 Detroit was used as a puller and two Mack l model quarry dumps as helpers. When the plant was dismantled Marino Crane was used for removing steam generators and turbines. These moves were up a 20% grade out of the plant. An Autocar with a western star pusher was used for these moves. Pictures Marino's Autocar and ex Gerosa Mack L's

are on Hanks website as well as the Hallamore Mack's. One question I have is did Mack make these rear ends and if they made them where did they make them.(Allentown Macungie) I know Dana made a lot of components for Mack using Mack design. I know Rockwell used to make rear end units this large. :)

Guest 45LMSWM

I worked at a nuclear plant in ct for 30 years. I remember a main tramsformer replacement move performed by Hallamore out of Mass. The move was from a barge up an incline to the plant. A Mack similar to these (maybee an M25) with a V-16 Detroit was used as a puller and two Mack l model quarry dumps as helpers. When the plant was dismantled Marino Crane was used for removing steam generators and turbines. These moves were up a 20% grade out of the plant. An Autocar with a western star pusher was used for these moves. Pictures Marino's Autocar and ex Gerosa Mack L's

are on Hanks website as well as the Hallamore Mack's. One question I have is did Mack make these rear ends and if they made them where did they make them.(Allentown Macungie) I know Dana made a lot of components for Mack using Mack design. I know Rockwell used to make rear end units this large. :)

Hallamore's M-series were/are both M45SXs, one previously owned by Gerosa, and the ohter purchased new by Standard Container, Keasbey, NJ.

-John

Guest 45LMSWM

Hallamore's M-series were/are both M45SXs, one previously owned by Gerosa, and the ohter purchased new by Standard Container, Keasbey, NJ.

-John

One question I have is did Mack make these rear ends and if they made them where did they make them.(Allentown Macungie) I know Dana made a lot of components for Mack using Mack design. I know Rockwell used to make rear end units this large. :)

I dont know for sure, but I assume the axles were built in Plainfield NJ until that plant was closed and Hagerstown MD was opened. They may then have been built in Hagerstown after that. Maybe somebody else here knows for sure. I believe Dana started building "Mack" axles around 1985/86, (long after the M-series were discontinued in the mid/late 1970's) and more recently Meritor took over in the early 2000's.

I do know the M-series trucks themselves were assembled in Allentown 5C until it was closed, and then in Macungie and Oakville Ontario until their final demise in 1979.

post-2383-127083619558_thumb.jpg

Edited by daveigou

I dont know for sure, but I assume the axles were built in Plainfield NJ until that plant was closed and Hagerstown MD was opened. They may then have been built in Hagerstown after that. Maybe somebody else here knows for sure.

I do know the M-series trucks were assembled in Macungie and Oakville Ontario.

Where did you get that photo? I have been looking for more detailed pictures of M series, planidrive axles and suspension.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Where did you get that photo? I have been looking for more detailed pictures of M series, planidrive axles and suspension.

I took those pictures at Middletown, Pa near Three Mile Island nuclear generation plant. I think they are still there as of today (Thur the 15th). They are supposed to leave for Southern York County and on to Havre De Grace Maryland where the load will be transferred to a barge, and onto a railroad car to North Carolina.

Here are a couple more detail pics, including one of the 16V lurking in under the hood.

post-2383-12713435068_thumb.jpg

post-2383-127134353086_thumb.jpg

post-2383-127134355357_thumb.jpg

post-2383-127134357188_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Bigge never had much imagination when it came to painting equipment - white w/blue logo spells BORING! Does ANYONE have any pictures of Standard Container Transport equipment, especially their M45, when they were in business? Thanks