Can I Put A Diesel In A B-42?

Yes, the frame will handle a diesel engine. The obvious choice would be a Mack, and if you had another B model donor truck, the job would be fairly easy. Otherwise you are limited only buy the tape measure, your skills, and your wallet. A lot would depend on what you plan to do with the truck, and what you want it to do for you. Will it be a play toy, or work for a living ? Do you want big power, or economy ?

I am in the same boat. I am looking at a 1961 B42. Will a 471 DD fit? Thanks

Dieselman, I have a 421 that we would have liked to put a diesel into, but we have not found an engine with more than 250 HP that will fit into it. Another thing you have to think about is how much cooling capacaty the engine needs. I do have some info that says that a 471 Detroit has 160 HP @ 2100 RPM., is 42 inches long, 29 inches wide, 42inches tall, and weighs 1780 LBS.There is a website you can go to that will tell you dimensions for Detroit, Cummins and Cat engines. It is:

http://www.adieselengine.com/new page 1.htm.

Hope this helps, Daniel

I am in the same boat. I am looking at a 1961 B42. Will a 471 DD fit? Thanks

the 4-71 is pretty short so it should fit. The naturally aspirated 4-71 should yeild about 159HP which is half the power of a 318HP 8v71. With a turbo you could get about 200-220HP and around 450-495ft/lbs from that little 4-71. Don't think it will stack up to a turbo 673 in terms of power but it will have more power than a gasser.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

My old B-42 was repowered with a Cummins diesel, a CF-160, sometime in it's life. Also fitted with a 20 speed quadraplex rather than the original 10 speed. This is a 160 hp engine rated at 2600 rpm.

I suspect parts for the old Cummins are hard to find. Have not needed anything.....yet.

David

My old B-42 was repowered with a Cummins diesel, a CF-160, sometime in it's life. Also fitted with a 20 speed quadraplex rather than the original 10 speed. This is a 160 hp engine rated at 2600 rpm.

I suspect parts for the old Cummins are hard to find. Have not needed anything.....yet.

There are a couple of pictures in my gallery of the engine compartment.

David