B42P 2 Speed Differential

pdoughty

I have a B42p that is equipped with a 5 speed transmission and two speed rear end.

The correct police have cited me many times that Mack did not make two speeds, I agree

with that, but I have seen a web site that shows production numbers and that site said

some B models we're factory equipped with 2 speeds but not Mack differentials. Mine appears

to be a factory installation, Brass 2 speed instructions on the dash, electric speedometer

2 speed switch and all wiring in original harnesses. Anyone know about this or what website

I might have looked at? I have sent for the build sheets for all seven of my B's but haven't

received anything yet.

Thanx

PKISME

I've got a two speed (electric) that has 'Mack' cast in the housing.

I was there when it was removed from the 'B' model.

So even though I'm not a Guru in the drive train department, I'd be hard pressed

to believe that Mack didn't put them in some trucks.

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

I've got a two speed (electric) that has 'Mack' cast in the housing.

I was there when it was removed from the 'B' model.

So even though I'm not a Guru in the drive train department, I'd be hard pressed

to believe that Mack didn't put them in some trucks.

Packer

Thanx Mine doesn't have the Mack embossed in the housing which is one of the reasons

That I am confused. (that probably isn't the ONLY reason that I am confused) just trying

to get it all worked out.

PKISME

you could get a 2 speed rear in a B model. most of them were in B20 and B30's and had juice breaks and a Timkin rear end housing. We had a B30 that had a 2 speed rear in a standard Mack housing that had the Mack script also. Have also seen a few B42's with a 2 speed rears. Somtimes i think they just grabbed whatever parts were handy on the assembly line and put them together. Everytime i think i know it all about B models, Mack stumps me.... ~Matt

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

One of my Mack service manuals covers the two speed rears. It only covers Mack built differentials and nothing vendored.

I would say Mack built one themselves if it's in this book.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.