Banjo Gaskets?

Rob

Do these exist any longer, or has RTV taken their place? Getting ready to pull the differentials to blast/clean/paint and wondering.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob,

I looked into this and by 1954 Mack was not using any gasket only the gasket sealer, so I would use the Purolator UltraBlack sealant now.

Firemack

Thanks for the reply. Both vendors I use had it listed as: N/A, or NLA.

Appreciate the guidance.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I remember there was an O ring on the older ones, but any that I've ever dropped in I just made sure the mating surfaces were clean and then put silicone gasket maker on the diff mating surface, being sure to encircle all the bolt holes, then drop the diff in the housing.

The reason I put the silicone on the diff and not the housing is that if you put it on the housing, any crap that falls while you're lowering the diff will land on the silicone. With the silicone on the diff surface that can't happen.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Rob i remenber when some rears did use a gasket and only can remenber right now as the IHC made by rockwell using a gasket. The gaskets will now stay in there. Too much flex. If you think about it the large opening on the banjo housging gets its strenght from the carrier bolted against the housing so you see were there is so much flex between the joint.The gray sealer made by locktight and permtex is better than silicone. grease will no hurt it. And on the eaton waranty reseals they ask to use it. It is what rockwell trans use instead of gaskets like eaton trans does.

glenn akers