12 Speed 1070B

I Broke my 12 speed and i think the lock out broke and fell down and helped me with the breakage. I am going to install a good take out 12 speed. Anyone have any experience with these trannys? Are they heavy duty? semi bullet proof? The reason i am asking cause the rest of the drive line is massive. I am wondering if the tranny is weak link in the drive line. the truck is a 87 super liner w/44 rears massive drive shaft camel back suspension e6 motor. dump truck

Buddy

Edited by buddy

I Broke my 12 speed and i think the lock out broke and fell down and helped me with the breakage. I am going to install a good take out 12 speed. Anyone have any experience with these trannys? Are they heavy duty? semi bullet proof? The reason i am asking cause the rest of the drive line is massive. I am wondering if the tranny is weak link in the drive line. the truck is a 87 super liner w/44 rears massive drive shaft camel back suspension e6 motor. dump truck

Buddy

Nothin wrong with a twelve speed!

there only real weak point is backing up!

If your doing alot of backing up ,( with lots of weight up steep grades) it pays to replace the rear counter shaft bearings once every couple of years!

An observation

Nothin wrong with a twelve speed!

there only real weak point is backing up!

If your doing alot of backing up ,( with lots of weight up steep grades) it pays to replace the rear counter shaft bearings once every couple of years!

An observation

fjh, did you ever notice that those transmissions (and the 6 speeds too) had a tendency of knocking a tooth off one of the reverse idlers if the driver was rough and had a habit of hitting reverse while the truck was still rolling?

I've seen that quite a few times over the years.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

fjh, did you ever notice that those transmissions (and the 6 speeds too) had a tendency of knocking a tooth off one of the reverse idlers if the driver was rough and had a habit of hitting reverse while the truck was still rolling?

I caught myself once doing that just once. I think this tranny is great for some one that knows how it works. It is not your fool proof trannys of today that is for sure.

I caught myself once doing that just once. I think this tranny is great for some one that knows how it works. It is not your fool proof trannys of today that is for sure.

Ya don't just flip the switch while moving thats for sure !Seen lots of mangled idlers for sure! Ya can replace em in the truck but it aint easy,Ya need to stop then switch If I had a truck and seen my driver fliping the switch rollin I'd kick him . Best dump truck trans going in my opinion!Nice selection, If ya got a long way to go in reverse it sure is nice to get ater and go!

Was pulling my RL out of the shop once and barely moving when I did that. Very violent engagement when it slams into reverse. I can see how the teeth would come off if done repeatedly. As nice and smooth as this transmission is on up, and downshifts in both forward and reverse gears, it is a fine piece of engineering to me.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.