Engine Swap On An A40

I have an A40 which I am getting ready to start tinkering with. I have a blown piston which the last owner began tinkering with, but he got started on and left the head off. Now it has been a dozen years with the head off etc. we will call the motor restoration hopeless. Even if I did get it back up and running, hunting for parts for an EN377 is about the same as looking through the trash for a winning lottery ticket. I would like to use this as a show commuter, and really would prefer a diesel. My question is, would a 673 fit into the engine compartment? It looks like it would have the height, but would it be long enough. I know the purist will hate me, but you cannot knock the availability and the toughness of that old motor. And would the ten speed duplex match right up to that motor or would I need a new tranny too. Thank you.

I have an A40 which I am getting ready to start tinkering with. I have a blown piston which the last owner began tinkering with, but he got started on and left the head off. Now it has been a dozen years with the head off etc. we will call the motor restoration hopeless. Even if I did get it back up and running, hunting for parts for an EN377 is about the same as looking through the trash for a winning lottery ticket. I would like to use this as a show commuter, and really would prefer a diesel. My question is, would a 673 fit into the engine compartment? It looks like it would have the height, but would it be long enough. I know the purist will hate me, but you cannot knock the availability and the toughness of that old motor. And would the ten speed duplex match right up to that motor or would I need a new tranny too. Thank you.

The engine compartment is not long enough and would not leave you enough room in the cab if you planned to install a "doghouse". The existing duplex trans also will not bolt up to the END-673 series engine due to SAE flywheel housing size difference.

Your best bet, (my opinion) would be to install either a Cummins B5.9, or International Dt-466 if you wanted to go with a diesel. Either of these were available with the SAE #2 flywheel housing and should bolt up. You would need to fabricate/modify front and rear mounts for the engine to frame. You could also install an EN-401/402 series gasoline engine with as they are the same externally and is a straight bolt in option. This would however leave you with the same unavailability of parts.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thank you for the quick response. I do not think it is a bad idea, will leave me a very (hopefully if done right) reliable truck to take to shows. That 377 Mack is as rare as they come, and the 401 I have not seen much either. The 466 would not take much cab intrusion to get in there either. Those motors are a dime a dozen. The wife will be thrilled at the prospect of another donor truck.

The engine compartment is not long enough and would not leave you enough room in the cab if you planned to install a "doghouse". The existing duplex trans also will not bolt up to the END-673 series engine due to SAE flywheel housing size difference.

Your best bet, (my opinion) would be to install either a Cummins B5.9, or International Dt-466 if you wanted to go with a diesel. Either of these were available with the SAE #2 flywheel housing and should bolt up. You would need to fabricate/modify front and rear mounts for the engine to frame. You could also install an EN-401/402 series gasoline engine with as they are the same externally and is a straight bolt in option. This would however leave you with the same unavailability of parts.

Rob

Don't forget about the rear end, with a change to a diesel you might have to go with a lower no. rear to get any road speed. terry

Don't forget about the rear end, with a change to a diesel you might have to go with a lower no. rear to get any road speed. terry

Hi Terry, the rear ratio does not play near the factor with the smaller diesels such as those considered as they are typically governed higher than the 2800rpm the original EN-377, and EN-401/402 series were.

I would however still consider moving to a newer rear unit due to parts availability.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

You guys are great. I had wondered about how much needs to be done with the rest of the driveline. I really like the A model where it is so rare, but want the ability to go a hundred miles or so to a good show. Springfield MA 2012 is my goal lol. Want to modernize it a little too with features like maxi brakes and some other safety features. I think it will be a really cool looking truck when I am done. When I bought it I had NO idea just how rare these trucks are, but it will be a real head turner at shows. Thank you again everyone.

Hi Terry, the rear ratio does not play near the factor with the smaller diesels such as those considered as they are typically governed higher than the 2800rpm the original EN-377, and EN-401/402 series were.

I would however still consider moving to a newer rear unit due to parts availability.

Rob