Dual Exhaust

Hi all ,

I am trying to find a vin number for a 1977- 88 R 686ST that has dual exhaust so I can order the correct parts can anyone help me with this thanks Ron

Is your exaust mounted on the cab or on a bracket to the frame, if i was doing it i would look at some CH613 exaust brackets, i have seen 3-4 differant offset brackets, i bought ( 2) part number 8ME560M brackets to put on my B61, i have a box sleeper on it and have to put the exaust behind the sleeper,they look like they would work on the R model. Ron

should be very simple Ron. Just find a junk yard mack and take the exhaust bracket off. bolt it to the frame and run new crossover pipes.and muffler etc... I did this to my B model and it was real simple. Only problem I can see is the routing of the existing RH side pipe

Trent

should be very simple Ron. Just find a junk yard mack and take the exhaust bracket off. bolt it to the frame and run new crossover pipes.and muffler etc... I did this to my B model and it was real simple. Only problem I can see is the routing of the existing RH side pipe

Trent

Trent i never thought about the fuel tank , if you have a 80 gallon tank you might have a hard time routing the left pipe. Ron

most of the R models I drive have the small 50 gal hyd tank on the pass side and a larger fuel tank on the drivers side. you could pass a cross over pipe under the driveshaft but the driver side tank is still the issue. The easy fix is to route the exhaust pipe up through the frame rails and add a tee pipe,just above the rails, then its 2 simple 90 deg bends upwards to the exhaust hangers and you can add a mufflers or straight stacks. I did this both on my B and RS models and it looks like a factory set up with no mangled hanging pipes.

Contact Vomac Truck Sales and Service in New Haven (Ft.Wayne) IN. ask for Dave Sarka or Jeff Mekus. They are the old time Mack guys at the dealership and they had a hand in putting proper duel exhaust on a R model last year during the complete restoration for a good customer. Either one should know exactly what you are talking about, but if not just say it was Boeke's Maroon single axle.

Their phone number is 260-749-5061.

T.

Contact Vomac Truck Sales and Service in New Haven (Ft.Wayne) IN. ask for Dave Sarka or Jeff Mekus. They are the old time Mack guys at the dealership and they had a hand in putting proper duel exhaust on a R model last year during the complete restoration for a good customer. Either one should know exactly what you are talking about, but if not just say it was Boeke's Maroon single axle.

Their phone number is 260-749-5061.

T.

The late 80s R model with airride cab has the exaust bracket that bolts to the frame where the cab crossmember is, you should be able to find a R model with the same bracket, get the serial number and order 2 of them. Ron

• 2 weeks later...

The late 80s R model with airride cab has the exaust bracket that bolts to the frame where the cab crossmember is, you should be able to find a R model with the same bracket, get the serial number and order 2 of them. Ron

If you have any truck exhaust places near you check them out.There are 2 of them here ,they have all the equipment,they measure it and make it while you wait.Cheaper and bettr from my experience.

Pete

One simple way to run dual exhaust, although it is not stock parts is to mount a piece of square tubing on the frame behind the cab weld caps on the ends weld a piece of pipe into the top for your two chrome straight pipes to mount to and get mounts that go on top and you are ready to go. Block

Block,

To each his own, but I have seen exhaust systems like you mentioned and personally I think they look worse than a White Trash '70 Nova with the butt end jacked up 10 inches with M50 Dayton Radials sticking 6 inches out the rear wheel wells!

The bracket's are still available from Mack, so one might as well do it right.

T.