How Do You Set Up A Website:

Rob

I'm finally down to the last customer's car in the shop and am making plans to get the restorations started on mine, and a couple other folk's Mack trucks. I'm not much of a computer person and would like to know what is involved in having a website set up. When my old site was set up, (www.autoaffair.com) it just went to an "coming soon" banner with my corporate logo, (it is still active). I still have the domain name and would like to work with it, but the original ISP is defunct and has been sold off.

What do I need to do at this point to use this name for a viable website?

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I'm finally down to the last customer's car in the shop and am making plans to get the restorations started on mine, and a couple other folk's Mack trucks. I'm not much of a computer person and would like to know what is involved in having a website set up. When my old site was set up, (www.autoaffair.com) it just went to an "coming soon" banner with my corporate logo, (it is still active). I still have the domain name and would like to work with it, but the original ISP is defunct and has been sold off.

What do I need to do at this point to use this name for a viable website?

Thanks,

Rob

ask Nikki. That's what I would do. Or Barry, if Nikki's unavailable for comment.

Thanks for the link too, that image could be very useful in future picture projects.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

ask Nikki. That's what I would do. Or Barry, if Nikki's unavailable for comment.

Thanks for the link too, that image could be very useful in future picture projects.

I have the image in original format, (I designed it myself), in .pdf format, .ai format, .gif format and just about everything else under the sun should you need it. If you'd have asked earlier, it would have been made available.

I've already asked Nikki and she is not certain of all the details.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob,

There are a bunch of ways to do it but the basics needs are:

-Host: AKA web server. This service gives you the actual space to upload your website content to.

-Domain Name: The "Address" of your website. Points to the IP address or virtual address of the host. www.bigmacktrucks.com is a domain name.

Some hosting providers allow you to register a domain name and give you space for your content. My brother uses HostMonster for his site and its cheap, about 6 bucks a month which includes the domain name. HostMonster also gives you a free site builder and templates to help you to start building the website without worrying about JAVA, HTML, CGI, PHP, ASP or any other technical acronym. You simply setup the site, load up a template and upload your pictures to the site. Inserting text is done through the site editor.

Back in the day you had to find a host for your site who provided telnet and/or FTP access (usually your ISP). It was a basic shell account on a Unix system that gave you a few megs of space for your email, website and data. You manually encoded the html yourself or with the help of a page builder from Netscape or Microsoft. You then uploaded your website data using FTP. You could also buy a domain name if you wanted and just pointed it to the address of your host's web server. This can still be done but its a hassle and the old shell account has given way to cheaper, simpler shared hosting. Shared hosting still allows for FTP access but adds newer methods to easily upload content from within your web browser.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

.......Oh shoot. Thad took the words right outta my mouth.........

:pat:

:blink:

Ya, right. I know our company does something similar as it's been a few years since I played with it(did some simple word editing).

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"