Rear Diff

andrewquint

Hi , I have a 1987 rm6864x 4x4 s/a Mack Snowplow and I lost the inner and outer cam and the peanuts in the rear diff. It is a crd 1181 model 5.98 ratio. Does anyone know where I can get parts for this? I have tried Mack but only the outer cam is available. Also I have found a used diff it is a crd 1181 5.52 will that work if I use my bull gear to get my 5.98 ratio? Are there any aftermarket parts out there for my diff? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

This may be a really stupid question but I'll ask it anyway. I thought the inner and outer cam and the peanuts were part of the power divider. Why does a single axle truck have a power divider? I have an axle out of a RM 4x4 but the build sheet says it's a 5.78. I will check it Monday for a tag.

This may be a really stupid question but I'll ask it anyway. I thought the inner and outer cam and the peanuts were part of the power divider. Why does a single axle truck have a power divider? I have an axle out of a RM 4x4 but the build sheet says it's a 5.78. I will check it Monday for a tag.

I have no idea why Mack does this but you are right, it is a single axle when one wheel spins the other locks up and turns it into a posi, there is no air actuator to turn it on it just does it automatically. I,m hoping someone has parts with a different ratio but will fit mine using my bull gear. Do you want to sell your if it will work?

Evidently his diff has the cams & peanuts instead of spider gears as a center (side to side)differential. Mack built some diffs that way as a sort of "limited slip" feature.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Evidently his diff has the cams & peanuts instead of spider gears as a center (side to side)differential. Mack built some diffs that way as a sort of "limited slip" feature.

I had four GM 3/4, and one ton trucks with the Eaton mfg. "limited slip" type unit which operated in much the same way. It was completely conventional internally with the exception of having a spring loaded "cam over" assembly that grabbed the not spinning wheel to make it turn. Most were brutal in engagement as one wheel needed to be spinning before the other would grab. They were also very hard on clutch plates behind the side gears.

I replaced all with Detroit Locker "No-Spin" units which held up very well without a single failure. If you need the absolute enhancement of a traction unit, this is the way to go.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The problem with these is they pop and bang going around corners!If you happen to have this setup in a fire truck or somthing packing big weight all the time its a pain!The other down fall being you need to run even tires!