Front Axle Width

fordguyhey

I was looking at the pictures of Matt Pfahl's B-61, and saw that he had put a superliner front axle under his truck. I am planning on putting my B-75 cab on a running R model frame that I have, but I was doing some measuring and the only thing holding me back from tearing into the project at the moment is the fact that the R model front axle is 6 inches wider than the b model axle. I don't want the tires to stick out past the fenders. I noticed on a B61 that I have together with the fenders on it still that the tire sit just inside the fenders. This makes me think that it might just mean that my tires will be even with the fenders if the R model front axle is used. Unless a superliner front axle is narrower??? As always I appreciate any and all input.

I was looking at the pictures of Matt Pfahl's B-61, and saw that he had put a superliner front axle under his truck. I am planning on putting my B-75 cab on a running R model frame that I have, but I was doing some measuring and the only thing holding me back from tearing into the project at the moment is the fact that the R model front axle is 6 inches wider than the b model axle. I don't want the tires to stick out past the fenders. I noticed on a B61 that I have together with the fenders on it still that the tire sit just inside the fenders. This makes me think that it might just mean that my tires will be even with the fenders if the R model front axle is used. Unless a superliner front axle is narrower??? As always I appreciate any and all input.

You could also run rims with a greater offset than standard to move the tires inboard. I've seen the conversion you speak of and the tires actually protrude just about 1/2" from the wheel arches. Does not look right to me but I didn't own the truck so no reason to be critical.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Let me tell you what i did with my B61 for a front axle. I took a front axle from a cab over freight liner and about a 79 year and redrilled the spring pads for the mack springs and installed. The tires set out maybe 1 or 2" on each side. That does not look out of place non at all to me.To me it makes it look like a growed up truck. Also my springs have a big spacer on top of the axle making the cab set higher and it is not noticed as much setting higher.

glenn akers

it was alot of work to put the superliner front axle in , the u bolt spacing was different. and had to tap front axle holes put in 3/4/ inch threaded rod and then redrillholes for the b model spring spacing. the reason for this is because the holes are a half of a hole difference. then the power steering box that was mounted on the front axle also needed some modification. what was great about thts was i could also use the superliner colum in the trck. we also put in a trdlx1070 12 speed and used the swing pedal all of this took about 2 weeks of steady work as it is all trail and error any questions call me ...