Fog Light Hook-Up

I had the center section of the dash out of my truck a while back and noticed there was wiring for the fog lights.

Two questions... Is there power TO those wires and I can just install a switch? If so, where does the power end up if my truck wasn't originally equipped with fog lights (there's no fog light switch)...? I'm asking because I'd like to install additional lights and so forth and it'd be nice to have a seperate switch from the headlight/park light switch.

This is in a 97 CH model...square dash.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Get one of these:

313G43bcLTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Ground the clamp, and test the wires for juice...if it lights up, there's power running to them wires. There oughtta be a hot wire coming from the fuse panel (if there's a fuse...otherwise ya might need to insert one) and a wire or two that heads off towards the lights.

I'd look for the wires for the lights up under the bumper somewhere. They may not be obvious...may have to search for 'em a bit...but I'd imagine they are up there somewhere. It's easier to wire all the trucks alike and add/subtract the various features as wanted by the purchaser, rather than to custom wire all the trucks differently depending on what options are spec'd.

But of course all that is just a guess...don't assume I know what I'm talking about. I HATE dealing with electrical stuff...I usually just run a new circuit from the battery to make it easy on me instead of trying to find the "factory" wires.... :thumb:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I had the center section of the dash out of my truck a while back and noticed there was wiring for the fog lights.

Two questions... Is there power TO those wires and I can just install a switch? If so, where does the power end up if my truck wasn't originally equipped with fog lights (there's no fog light switch)...? I'm asking because I'd like to install additional lights and so forth and it'd be nice to have a seperate switch from the headlight/park light switch.

This is in a 97 CH model...square dash.

You will need a fuse/breaker and a relay , they both go in the fuse panel. Plug in the factory switch and your ready. The wires should be behind the bumper or around the steering box. Best I remember you must have the headlights on for them to work and on some trucks they went out when you put the high beams on. All the older CH Mack cab wiring harnesses were the same regardless of options, so all the wiring is there,

You will need a fuse/breaker and a relay , they both go in the fuse panel. Plug in the factory switch and your ready. The wires should be behind the bumper or around the steering box. Best I remember you must have the headlights on for them to work and on some trucks they went out when you put the high beams on. All the older CH Mack cab wiring harnesses were the same regardless of options, so all the wiring is there,

Hey thanks. I figured as much, but didn't know how far the wiring went out. Now I get to sawzall the dash for the switch!

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg