New Years

other dog

I'm ready- got the black eyed peas and greens. Black eyed peas are supposed to bring luck in the new year, and the greens money. So I got 2 cans of greens.

Actually I had only seen canned creeces at one other store around here, and that was in Appomattox. Found these yesterday at the local store 2 miles from here. We used to go out and cut our own, when you could find them. They're my favorite, but kind of hard to come by. They grow flat on the ground and we'd take an old knife and cut them off level at the ground, put them in a sack, and bring them home and try to get all the dirt off before you cooked them. A huge pot of them will cook down to a little bit, but they're mighty tasty cooked with some seasoning meat (hog jowls for New Years), a few potatoes, and topped with chopped onion and vinegar.

Anybody besides DoubleL ever eaten these?

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

No, I have not eaten those, nor even heard of them.

I distinctly remember Richard Pryor, (Greatest comedian in the WORLD incidently) mentioning "greens" though.

Something like: "Then I hid in the bushes, and waited for this big collard green eatin bitch to go to the bafroom see"......

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

No, I have not eaten those, nor even heard of them.

I distinctly remember Richard Pryor, (Greatest comedian in the WORLD incidently) mentioning "greens" though.

Something like: "Then I hid in the bushes, and waited for this big collard green eatin bitch to go to the bafroom see"......

Rob

I don't know if they grow in Illinois, but they probaby do. A corn field (hint-hint), after the corn was picked was usually a good place to find them. It's easy to tell where they were in the spring. Then they grow up to seed and have yellow flowers on them. Much harder to find before they do, but usually if you find some there'll be lots of them in one place. They're common in the south.

These came from South Caroliner.

more info-

http://crippledcollie.com/wordpress/?p=288

Same as Rob

Never heard of them or ever tried them.

I can't say if I've ever seen them in our grocery stores up here in Northern Ontario.

I wouldn't mined giving them a try.

Is this a family tradition or do a lot of people do this every New Year?

GLENN

GRANDKIDS :Gods little gift to us for not killing our kids while they were growing up

All I want, is just to be luv'd and for my Check Engine light to go out on my Volvo.

Can't says that I've ever seen them. I know the fields around here are sprayed to kill anything that has a chance to grow and is not either corn, or soybeans.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Same as Rob

I can't say if I've ever seen them in our grocery stores up here in Northern Ontario.

I've seen other "traditions" for New Years celebration. Worst one I ever tried was "Pickled Herring". I don't really care for fish all that much and this may not have been prepared correctly cause I wasn't to only one that said something was wrong.

Never have tried it again.

Rob

Same as Rob

I guess it's a southern tradition, i'm not sure. We always had them on New Years day when I was growing up. Dale Earnhardt Jr. said they always had to have black eyed peas and greens on New Years day too. Didn't sound like he was particularly fond of them. I like 'em both. Used to grow black eyed peas in the garden, back when I had plenty of space.

http://www.shopfoodex.com/betty-creecy-greens-p-36079.html

http://www.eintown.com/southernfoods.cfm?word=Greens

Whereabouts in Ontario are you located? Anywhere near Elliott Lake?

I've seen other "traditions" for New Years celebration. Worst one I ever tried was "Pickled Herring". I don't really care for fish all that much and this may not have been prepared correctly cause I wasn't to only one that said something was wrong.

Never have tried it again.

Rob

I like fish, but prefer it battered and fried, or grilled. Never tried any pickled herring. Them little tiny fishes in a can are good on a saltine though.

Never heard of Creeces and now you know Tom I've eaten black eyed peas and greens. C'mon now you know I got some Virginia blood in me. Now the thing with the (In my best Virginia accent) black eyed peas you got to add in some stew tomata and some sugah to give it a sweet flavor. I like my greens with ham chunks in them and pieces of bacon and soaked in vinegar. You can't have greens without them being soaked in vinegar and you can't forget the corn bread to complete it. Speaking of vinegar I like to slice up cucumber, tomato, and onion and put it in a bowl and add a bit of vinegar to it along with salt and pepper and let it soak an hour or two in the fridge. Speaking of fish (Rainbow Trout or Catfish)I like mine fried with some Texas Pete hot sauce.

I know some good eating when I see it, it's already bad enough I got a Illinois/Virginia accent going on. :lol:

As far as a New Year's tradition I like to have a little alcohol such as Crown Royal.

Never heard of Creeces and now you know Tom I've eaten black eyed peas and greens. C'mon now you know I got some Virginia blood in me. Now the thing with the (In my best Virginia accent) black eyed peas you got to add in some stew tomata and some sugah to give it a sweet flavor. I like my greens with ham chunks in them and pieces of bacon and soaked in vinegar. You can't have greens without them being soaked in vinegar and you can't forget the corn bread to complete it. Speaking of vinegar I like to slice up cucumber, tomato, and onion and put it in a bowl and add a bit of vinegar to it along with salt and pepper and let it soak an hour or two in the fridge. Speaking of fish (Rainbow Trout or Catfish)I like mine fried with some Texas Pete hot sauce.

I know some good eating when I see it, it's already bad enough I got a Illinois/Virginia accent going on. :lol:

As far as a New Year's tradition I like to have a little alcohol such as Crown Royal.

yeah, the Virginia blood was why I thought for sure you'd had them before. I'm with ya on the stewed tomatoes and corn bread!

I cain't believe this- I bet Bollweevil knows about creeces.

Speaking of alcohol, which I know nothing about, I was in the liquor store the other day and noticed Crown Royal was about the same price as Jim Beam, (my usual). Musta been on sale, I thought it was way higher.

GRITS n CHEESE

Biscuits n gravy

REAL mac & cheese

True Southern fried chicken

(but then I'm a white boy from CT. what do I know)

Think we might do some wild hog tonite. Son shot it the other day

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

yeah, the Virginia blood was why I thought for sure you'd had them before. I'm with ya on the stewed tomatoes and corn bread!

I cain't believe this- I bet Bollweevil knows about creeces.

Speaking of alcohol, which I know nothing about, I was in the liquor store the other day and noticed Crown Royal was about the same price as Jim Beam, (my usual). Musta been on sale, I thought it was way higher.

Don't feel bad I know nothing much about alcohol myself. I'm surprised Crown Royal was the same price, normally Crown Royal is a bit higher. Be careful with some of those home made Virginia moonshine, they tend to burn a hole in the top of the jug. :lol: I seen it for myself this past August.

GRITS n CHEESE

Biscuits n gravy

REAL mac & cheese

True Southern fried chicken

(but then I'm a white boy from CT. what do I know)

Think we might do some wild hog tonite. Son shot it the other day

You can keep the grits. I hate them!

I wouldn't mind me some Fergie from the Black Eyed Peas for New Year's...

Think I had seen one of those "Fergie" squeeze dolls at a toy store in the mall. That was in Peoria and if you can't locate one up by you, let me know and I'll get it for you.

We won't ask what you do with it, promise.

Rob

Think I had seen one of those "Fergie" squeeze dolls at a toy store in the mall. That was in Peoria and if you can't locate one up by you, let me know and I'll get it for you.

We won't ask what you do with it, promise.

Rob

after much research I found a picture

after much research I found a picture

Does that model also have the "Gorilla Grease" included?

Rob

I guess it's a southern tradition, i'm not sure. We always had them on New Years day when I was growing up. Dale Earnhardt Jr. said they always had to have black eyed peas and greens on New Years day too. Didn't sound like he was particularly fond of them. I like 'em both. Used to grow black eyed peas in the garden, back when I had plenty of space.

http://www.shopfoodex.com/betty-creecy-greens-p-36079.html

http://www.eintown.com/southernfoods.cfm?word=Greens

Whereabouts in Ontario are you located? Anywhere near Elliott Lake?

HaHaHa My parents live in Elliott Lake I'm about 3/half hrs east of them in North Bay, Ont.

Black Eyed Peas and Greens sure does sound like a Southern tradition, I still thing I might seek some out and give it a try.

GLENN

GRANDKIDS :Gods little gift to us for not killing our kids while they were growing up

All I want, is just to be luv'd and for my Check Engine light to go out on my Volvo.

It has went up in price, or they have increased the quantity. I was thinking the pure petroleum distillates had declined in price and thought the purchase price would be reduced appropriately. Suppose I was incorrect.

Still a good bargain considering that nasty burn, and itch that must be contended with if the product is not used.

Rob

If you can stomach Ryan "SuckDong" Seacrest, Fergie is about to appear on the New Years special on TV in just a few moments.

Rob

HaHaHa My parents live in Elliott Lake I'm about 3/half hrs east of them in North Bay, Ont.

Black Eyed Peas and Greens sure does sound like a Southern tradition, I still thing I might seek some out and give it a try.

they might know Bill. He had some great stories about trucking around in that part of Canada. I liked the one about the trip up rt. 41 to Pembroke with a load of cement.

If you can stomach Ryan "SuckDong" Seacrest, Fergie is about to appear on the New Years special on TV in just a few moments.

Rob

I'm watching the Va. Tech- Tennessee game now, i'm going to bed when it's over. It's not looking good for the volunteers- it's 37-14 VT with just over 2 minutes to go. But they only need 3 touchdowns and a field goal to win it, i'll watch the rest of it.