4 To 5 Inch Exhaust

bobo

hey I changed my 4" to 5" pipe from the turbo back on my RB. A bit of trial and error but it worked! I used a piece of 4" cut in half, then added 2" strips to the center making it 6" oval where it squeeses between the block and frame rail. Im now ready to install duel exhaust, I have to work around the roll-off rails. It will be 5" from turbo to top of the stack. Im trying to decide if its worth the effort to center the "Y" pipe? if any one wants pictures in progress let me know! james

Love to see some pics. I have a 93 RB with 300hp and it needs exhaust work. Hardest part for me is getting around pto on side od trans

hey I changed my 4" to 5" pipe from the turbo back on my RB. A bit of trial and error but it worked! I used a piece of 4" cut in half, then added 2" strips to the center making it 6" oval where it squeeses between the block and frame rail. Im now ready to install duel exhaust, I have to work around the roll-off rails. It will be 5" from turbo to top of the stack. Im trying to decide if its worth the effort to center the "Y" pipe? if any one wants pictures in progress let me know! james

Love to see some pics. I have a 93 RB with 300hp and it needs exhaust work. Hardest part for me is getting around pto on side od trans

hi, Im lucky, mine has a front mount pump. I've spent the last two days making battery box's(both are rotted) I will take pics monday of what I've done. thanks for taking intrest james

Edited by bobo

Are you trying to do something like this...?? It'll be the 3rd picture...

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=2151006

hey, yes twin stacks is my goal. I wish it was as easy for me in the 3rd pic, I have a rolloff and the rails sit 6" from the cab, and hyd. lines underneath. I got it all figured out(me thinks!) have a good day and DONT buy a new truck!!

Thanks for the pic I will prolly stay with single stack on mine and not sure whether I will stay with 4 or go to 5 inch. Mine has a short piece of flex tube from the pipe from the turbo which connects just in front of pto and runs back about two feet to the solid pipe that bends around fuel tank up to muffler. The flex pipe rots too quickly. Would you go stainless flex all the way or solid pipe? Still in planning process and also not sure to go straight stack or stay with muffler.

hey, yes twin stacks is my goal. I wish it was as easy for me in the 3rd pic, I have a rolloff and the rails sit 6" from the cab, and hyd. lines underneath. I got it all figured out(me thinks!) have a good day and DONT buy a new truck!!

Thanks for the pic I will prolly stay with single stack on mine and not sure whether I will stay with 4 or go to 5 inch. Mine has a short piece of flex tube from the pipe from the turbo which connects just in front of pto and runs back about two feet to the solid pipe that bends around fuel tank up to muffler. The flex pipe rots too quickly. Would you go stainless flex all the way or solid pipe? Still in planning process and also not sure to go straight stack or stay with muffler.

heyhey flex pipe is garbage! but it serves a purpose. I will only use it in 1' lenghts, just to take the vibes out. You loose power and heat with to much flex. As for the pipe I make my own out of heavy wall. Right now all i have is a straight pipe come out a foot behind the cab, underneath. ITS LOUD! TOO LOUD! when I was a "young" O/O i loved it, now that Im a bit older its TOO LOUD! thats why the change. it tried to take pics tonite but no flash on sony handycam(go fig?) do it on weekend outside. james

Just wondering do you bend your own pipe or cut and weld everything. Maybe I will do the same and where do you get heavy wall pipe and what do you use for a welder or stick size. Thanks

heyhey flex pipe is garbage! but it serves a purpose. I will only use it in 1' lenghts, just to take the vibes out. You loose power and heat with to much flex. As for the pipe I make my own out of heavy wall. Right now all i have is a straight pipe come out a foot behind the cab, underneath. ITS LOUD! TOO LOUD! when I was a "young" O/O i loved it, now that Im a bit older its TOO LOUD! thats why the change. it tried to take pics tonite but no flash on sony handycam(go fig?) do it on weekend outside. james

How can flex pipe be garbage if I love it so much?? I use it for everything on truck exhaust in rediculous lengths cause it's so easy to run. Think I prolly got 40 feet on my trucks with only minor leaks.

Actually I only use one foot sections also. Always the stainless variety because it holds up well. I have found it best to be used as a vibration isolator staged about 24 inches back from the turbocharger outlet due to the heat, and exhaust acids breaking down the pipe. If you aim a non contact thermometer at the exhaust adapter right at the turbocharger, and then 24 inches further down the pipe, you will notice a considerable difference. I also do not use clamps on the flex to rigid union but rather weld the ends solid. Never had much luck with the band clamps, (no matter the brand) not leaking after a period of time. Stainless band clamps are used on all slip fit unions however.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

good to know welding the flex to the solid. The clamps I have used usually leak after a year so I will weld the next. Thanks for the tip

How can flex pipe be garbage if I love it so much?? I use it for everything on truck exhaust in rediculous lengths cause it's so easy to run. Think I prolly got 40 feet on my trucks with only minor leaks.

Actually I only use one foot sections also. Always the stainless variety because it holds up well. I have found it best to be used as a vibration isolator staged about 24 inches back from the turbocharger outlet due to the heat, and exhaust acids breaking down the pipe. If you aim a non contact thermometer at the exhaust adapter right at the turbocharger, and then 24 inches further down the pipe, you will notice a considerable difference. I also do not use clamps on the flex to rigid union but rather weld the ends solid. Never had much luck with the band clamps, (no matter the brand) not leaking after a period of time. Stainless band clamps are used on all slip fit unions however.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

here some pic of what I got done so far, will be putting on left(driver side) stack this week end! The mufflers Im using are donaldson 5 in 5 out 10" high flow, noise canceling(same as PPower) with 30" slash cut w/internial rain caps. I had to make new brackets from scratch to fit around the roll off unit. james

post-2423-12639648177143_thumb.jpgpost-2423-12639649533156_thumb.jpgpost-2423-12639650023207_thumb.jpgpost-2423-12639651974425_thumb.jpgpost-2423-12639647500717_thumb.jpgpost-2423-12639650627137_thumb.jpgpost-2423-12639654219588_thumb.jpg

Edited by bobo

looks good I ended up replacing mine with stock 4 inch last week in a fury to pass inspection. Still had to fabricate part of it to save $. Stock pipe from muffler back was 350$ and ordered from across country so I bought another piece that looked close to the same and cut it to fit. Actually came out good. Used stainless flex from turbo pipe to new piece so hopefully will last more than a year. I like your air cleaner intake as well. Thanks for the pics..

here some pic of what I got done so far, will be putting on left(driver side) stack this week end! The mufflers Im using are donaldson 5 in 5 out 10" high flow, noise canceling(same as PPower) with 30" slash cut w/internial rain caps. I had to make new brackets from scratch to fit around the roll off unit. james

post-2423-12639648177143_thumb.jpgpost-2423-12639649533156_thumb.jpgpost-2423-12639650023207_thumb.jpgpost-2423-12639651974425_thumb.jpgpost-2423-12639647500717_thumb.jpgpost-2423-12639650627137_thumb.jpgpost-2423-12639654219588_thumb.jpg

looks good I ended up replacing mine with stock 4 inch last week in a fury to pass inspection. Still had to fabricate part of it to save $. Stock pipe from muffler back was 350$ and ordered from across country so I bought another piece that looked close to the same and cut it to fit. Actually came out good. Used stainless flex from turbo pipe to new piece so hopefully will last more than a year. I like your air cleaner intake as well. Thanks for the pics..

How did you attach the flex pipe?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I used stainless fex clamps because my welding abilities are weak at best. was worried I would burn through the flex so hopefully this will work as well..... we will see

Just don't let weight of the exhaust hang from the flex pipe to rigid union. Use a hanger to support it and all will be fine. Flex does not burn through any easier than a carbon steel pipe.

Practice makes perfect.

Rob

Thanks for the tip Rob and I will try to work on my welding abilities soon as I need to build a new log body for the truck..

Just don't let weight of the exhaust hang from the flex pipe to rigid union. Use a hanger to support it and all will be fine. Flex does not burn through any easier than a carbon steel pipe.

Practice makes perfect.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...