Idle?

88R686st

my 80 mack with a 237 has a wiered idle problem. start it up and idles fine after 5 minutes or so it will jump up about 200 rpm's and idle to high. if i wack the throtle it will come back down and then it will eventually high idle again. injection pump was done 2 years ago. any thoughts?

88 R686st

80 R685

93 Ford L8000

02 Ford F550xl

06 Ford F550xlt

06 Ford F350 lariat

my 80 mack with a 237 has a wiered idle problem. start it up and idles fine after 5 minutes or so it will jump up about 200 rpm's and idle to high. if i wack the throtle it will come back down and then it will eventually high idle again. injection pump was done 2 years ago. any thoughts?

My guess would be the throtle lever is broken try replacing that first!

I Be guessing problem with governer

could be as simple as a weak spring. the throttle spring on the '77 I drove worked backwards from what you would think-if it broke, which mine did twice, it would run wide open. I put a rubber strap on it along with the spring, just for extra "insurance" in case the spring decided to break again in a bad spot, like coming down the mountain with a load of chips.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.