New Guy Here

thirdcoaster

I'm a new member, and wanted to say Hello, and thanks for the site. I joined here recently to try to learn about a :mack1: I purchased. It's the first Class-8 truck I've owned, so it has been a bit of a learning curve. I semi-retired two years ago, but am way too young to hang up working altogether. We have ranches here in Texas, but that is only part-time for me so I started a housing project building rental units. The first four houses are well underway, and I am enjoying my new occupation as babysitter. :rolleyes:

I did all of the preliminary excavation and dirtwork with my Case 580SM. I decided to go ahead and buy a dump truck to haul fill sand for foundation pads, and gravel for driveways and the ranch roads. I doubt that I will ever pay myself back for the truck cost and operating expense, but the convenience of having a truck when I need or want something hauled is worth something. Besides, I always wanted a big truck, so this was a good enough excuse. There, I said it :thumb: .

Now, about the truck. Formerly a military tractor, the truck is a 1975 :mack1: R700. More precisely, it's an R769 with a Detroit 8v71 turbo and a 10-speed. The Detroit, which was replaced by the military 488 hours ago runs great and sounds great, but is a little LOUD.

Axles are 12K front and 44K rears. It has a new Warren 15 yard heavy duty dump body with electric tarp and air gate. The prior owner installed a new self-contained air-conditioner and air-ride seats as well as new rubber all the way around (385's on the front).

After taking delivery of the truck, I had a mechanic friend look it over in preparation for the required DOT inspection. We found a few issues :( . The batteries were marginal at best, so 4 new group-31 batteries fixed that. Next, the air wipers didn't work, so I ordered a replacement motor and switch; perfect. The brakelights stayed on all the time, so a new switch was installed. Then the brakelights wouldn't work at all, so I re-wired the brakelight circuit; done. There were a few air leaks that were quickly fixed. A couple of light bulbs, fresh oil and filters, a quick check of all fluids, and she was ready for inspection. I drove to the scales, and got an empty weight ticket showing 23,620 lbs. She passed inspection yesterday :chili: , and now has brand new license plates! :clap:

The cab is still in olive drab, but I am going to start preparation for paint tomorrow. There is very little rust anywhere on the truck, thank God. I ordered new emblems from Watt's Mack, so she will be looking sharp soon.

Overall, the truck is in remarkably good condition and really runs and drives well, although she is a little LOUD. Top speed is about 65mph which is fine for the rural roads I will travel. We've had a lot of rain the last few days which gives me a few days of shop time to get the paint done and tidy up any other needs.

This site has already helped me, and I hope to become more active here. I'm going to search for sound deadening tips here in a little while. Did I mention that my new truck is a little LOUD? :lol:

Is it THAT bad? :blink::wacko: Welcome aboard! :WELCOME:

I was just thinking about the Roadway R-models with 318's in them running 35 and 23 to Columbus in the 80's and whenever they keyed the mike to say something all you'd hear was a 318 Detroit screaming...not that there's anything wrong with that. Seems kinda funny now.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I would love to drive one of them old E9 V8 Superliners! I rode in one but I don't think it had the E9 in it though. That thing was a strong truck though. I love them ole Superliners and R series.

Why you gotta get me started, Double L? I miss my old MH more than some women I've known. That V8 thumpin' right under the doghouse was quite the thrill ride...

WELCOME TO THE FO (oh !! It's off) Welcome to the forum Thirdcoaster :rolleyes:

You gotta luv those Detroits LOL Just like a Harley, You hear them coming before you see them

GLENN

GRANDKIDS :Gods little gift to us for not killing our kids while they were growing up

All I want, is just to be luv'd and for my Check Engine light to go out on my Volvo.

I'm just funnin' wit ya, Double L. These engines (and the Detroit 2-strokers) are a piece of History. I feel priveledged to have experienced them before they are all gone.

When I was in trade school for truck repair in the late '80s, all we had for hands on training were 238 Detroit "donor" engines, as the school could not afford better. Even at my tender age, I realized I would probably not ever work on these dinosaurs again. Lo and behold, through job placement after training, I got a job at a company with a fleet of 40 238 Detroit engines! Sometimes things happen for good reasons. :thumb:

I'm just funnin' wit ya, Double L. These engines (and the Detroit 2-strokers) are a piece of History. I feel priveledged to have experienced them before they are all gone.

When I was in trade school for truck repair in the late '80s, all we had for hands on training were 238 Detroit "donor" engines, as the school could not afford better. Even at my tender age, I realized I would probably not ever work on these dinosaurs again. Lo and behold, through job placement after training, I got a job at a company with a fleet of 40 238 Detroit engines! Sometimes things happen for good reasons. :thumb:

I hear that man, I rather work on the older stuff than any of this new stuff they got out. I look at it like this if you can work on the old stuff then you can say you worked on a piece of history. :thumb: I'm glad I rode in Mack Superliner's, R model's, CH's, and even Vision's cause I got a chance to ride in history and never even knew it when I was younger. So when the Superliner's and R model's are gone I can tell my kids yup I rode in a piece of history. :thumb:

I'm going to attempt to post a couple of photos. I took them inside my warehouse which is pretty dark, but it's been raining and I didn't want to get the cab wet since I was about to start body work. By the way, the Detroit isn't really that loud, just having a little fun.

post-4959-12603266226876_thumb.jpg

post-4959-12603269107514_thumb.jpg

subliminal message to third coaster: take the R769 to Rob's house and forget about it; take the R769 to Rob's house and forget about it; take the R769 to Rob's house and forget about it........

Listen to your conscience, It'll never steer you wrong.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob, before or after the paint job? laugh.gif

Before. I know somebody that could prolly paint it. Besides look at the amount of labor you'd save.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.