Electric Fan On Superliner

bobcotkg

If this truck is going to work then forget the electric fan. I have for many years seen this tryed and it just will not get engough air flow to cool a working engine. I have seen guys come in with there engine damaged and still say they will keep the electric fan.Also if it was a workable ideal i think the manufactors would catch on to this ideal because it would be simple to use electric fans if it was enough air flow.The reason it robs power from the engine is because it takes a lot of power to move that much air.To be able to cool with electric it would take a very big alternator and electric motor. You hear nothen is free and goes true with cooling your engine. This is a good ideal but it just will not work.You need to stand close to a truck that is being run on the dyno on a hot day and see how much air is blowing across the fan. Then get around a electric fan some one has riged up and compare.

glenn akers

If this truck is going to work then forget the electric fan. I have for many years seen this tryed and it just will not get engough air flow to cool a working engine. I have seen guys come in with there engine damaged and still say they will keep the electric fan.Also if it was a workable ideal i think the manufactors would catch on to this ideal because it would be simple to use electric fans if it was enough air flow.The reason it robs power from the engine is because it takes a lot of power to move that much air.To be able to cool with electric it would take a very big alternator and electric motor. You hear nothen is free and goes true with cooling your engine. This is a good ideal but it just will not work.You need to stand close to a truck that is being run on the dyno on a hot day and see how much air is blowing across the fan. Then get around a electric fan some one has riged up and compare.

Haha...the other day I was checking my fuel pressure...motor at 1900 rpm's with the hood open, just looking things over and then..."pisst"...the half second warning when the fan kicks in. Blew my hat right off and halfway across the shop, cigarette out of my hand and almost scared the poop outta me.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Well you make a good point. I have heard pickups and 1 tons with elec fans make a difference, but those are little and these are big and such...

I don't think my fan works as good as it should. I think the fan cluch might be slipping. The pyro seems to get hotter faster, any ideas?

Bob

Well you make a good point. I have heard pickups and 1 tons with elec fans make a difference, but those are little and these are big and such...

I don't think my fan works as good as it should. I think the fan cluch might be slipping. The pyro seems to get hotter faster, any ideas?

Bob

I was thinking about electric fans on my R model to. does anyone know how much cfm a standard fan pulls?, my 866 has a solid fan on it and was looking at changing this over to 2 sets of fans from an australian ford, these fans draw 40amps on start up and flow 1400cfm per set

Grant

I was thinking about electric fans on my R model to. does anyone know how much cfm a standard fan pulls?, my 866 has a solid fan on it and was looking at changing this over to 2 sets of fans from an australian ford, these fans draw 40amps on start up and flow 1400cfm per set

Grant

Grant read my first post over again. I would not put you on because i may not have said this but i have seen this tryed many times but same said again there is not enough power in a alternator to push that much air even if you had a electric manifiying mutiplex torque mutiplyer connected to your alternator and hot rod electric motors turning the fans with it in overdrive.The reason some cars and pickups can get by with this is it ant tied down to a loaded trailer pulling all it can for hours ever day in all kinds of hot air. A car may pull hard for a short time but will have to slack up on power before long or it would be running 100 mph. A truck has to be able to pull full hp at slow speeds some times at long peiors of time with out the fear of burning up a engine due to some exsperment that we have hear that works but has never been proved on a large truck.It could work on a top or hobby truck.

glenn akers

I know Kenworth has a hydraulic driven fan option for severe service trucks. I don't know any of the details though.

But dont forget were the power to the pump is coming from. The pump[ is in most cases driven of of a acc drive that is good for maybe 25 hp and a alter is not putting out that kind of power.You can transfere power thru electric but you have to be able to start out with enough power.

glenn akers

But dont forget were the power to the pump is coming from. The pump[ is in most cases driven of of a acc drive that is good for maybe 25 hp and a alter is not putting out that kind of power.You can transfere power thru electric but you have to be able to start out with enough power.

Oh I know that the power draw will most likely be more due to losses from the hydraulic system. I just figured I would throw that bit of information in the mix.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Hi, I understand what you are saying with fans been on a car etc, I drive a Western star at the moment with either a B triple or a 3 x 45 foot trailers and when the horton cuts in the dam thing drops all its go, I has a 550 putty cat in it and does go well till fan hits it.

but what cfm does it pull? the fans I was looking at pull 1400cfm and 2 sets would draw 80 amps, some of the alternators we get down here are up around 300amp so I doubt that would be an issue. the issue is what you said with having the abilaty to cool, what cfm does a horton put out? my 866 hjas a solid fan on it, what cfm does that put out?

Grant