What Will Replace A 170 Hp Scania In A Dm400?

That 237 sounds great. Are you sure it will fit in length? I've got a steel nose but think it's same lenght as the tilt hood. The Scania is a great runner right now, just looking to the future. That little 170 hp is handling quite a load as this truck never weighs less than 50,000. Goes anywhere---but slow on the hills.

That 237 sounds great. Are you sure it will fit in length? I've got a steel nose but think it's same lenght as the tilt hood. The Scania is a great runner right now, just looking to the future. That little 170 hp is handling quite a load as this truck never weighs less than 50,000. Goes anywhere---but slow on the hills.

Yes it should fit. Your gonna get more torque out of a 237 then a 3208. Plus the 237 is more reliable then the 3208 which is prone to crank failure (someone correct me if I am wrong though).

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I have a 3208 in a ford single axle dump, and a 237 in my tandem axle. Definately go with a 237 mack. It feels like it has a hundred more horsepower than my 3208, and in reality it is only 25. No comparison whatsoever, and my 237 gets better mileage than than the cat also, even hauling 20,000#'s more per load!

Don't take this the wrong way a 237 is a great engine but it's not the right choice for a 13 speed. The 237 pulls torque from 1200 to 2100 the 13 speed will keep the rpms 1600 - 2100. The 237 was made for the 5 or 6 speed. That was made the maxitorque combination amazing when it came out in 1965. Also the 13 speed may not be able to handle all the torque of the 237. Generally the 13 speed is rated to handle torque at 1600 and when the 237 starts to pull at 1200 you will hear the gears whining (untill they eventually fail). A 237 with a 6 speed works real nice in a DM. 5 reverse gears are great for off road or backing into a paver box.

Chuck

As previously stated the 3208 is definitely a boat anchor, Not only as said do they have crank failure but also common cracked heads and junk head gaskets, they are one of the worst motors cat ever built, all of the 32 series, about the 237 I believe it would be fine in front of the 13 speed as far as handling the torque as long as the driver drives the tranny right, if it was me i would put a maxidyne in it, my uncles is currently finishing up a b model with a 195 horse john deere powertech out of a log skidder in it, once its done i will post some pics on here

That 3208 is probably worth a lot of money now. The price of scrap metal is way up.

HA isnt that true, junk clatterpillar, we've had only 1 or 2 3208s, but weve had a few 3204s in a D5, 953 and a couple other machines, god are they junk, head gaskets or heads have been done on all of them, 953 got an overhaul, blown a turbo, its half a 3208 basically cut in half, weve got several 3304s and they have been outstanding motors, my 955L has seen a lot of dirt in its day

HA isnt that true, junk clatterpillar, we've had only 1 or 2 3208s, but weve had a few 3204s in a D5, 953 and a couple other machines, god are they junk, head gaskets or heads have been done on all of them, 953 got an overhaul, blown a turbo, its half a 3208 basically cut in half, weve got several 3304s and they have been outstanding motors, my 955L has seen a lot of dirt in its day

Guys I used to work for used Cat equipment almost exclusivley and the 33 series is a fine engine,Bulldog is right on 32 series not so great-Ford used to be blamed for 3208 shortfalls ( made to Ford specs) but I really dont think that was the problem.You will be happy with a good 237(Dogs have big Horsepower)I believe I've only seen one DM 400 and it sounded like it had 2 cycle power.I believe the 237 fully dressed weighs about 2300#-dont know about the 3208 or space considerations,with air compressor ,the 3208 is pretty tall-Kevin

I'd nix a 3208- It'd be an oddball with no parts available and simply not worth the bother. At 50,000 pounds you could use a bit more power though... Mack offered a turbo version of the little Scania diesel with a bit over 200 horses so you might want to look for one of those. BTW, what transmission does the truck have now?- it mght have enough capacity for a turbo Scania but a Maxidyne will almost certainly require a tranny swap.

Of course, swapping in an engine and tranny in that old a truck is a lot of hassle- it might be easier to buy a running Mack with a Maxidyne and keep your old Scania engined Mack for parts.