Tranny Swap

JRSUPERSTAR

Hi I am new here so bear with me please! I have a 1987 Mack R-600 with a 350 motor and a 10 speed with 2 speed deep reduction transmission. I would like to swap the tranny for a 18 speed eaton, any thoughts? How hard is it to find a bell housing? What other problems will I run into?

Edited by JRSUPERSTAR

If the overall length of the transmissions are different, the drive shaft will either need to be stretched or shortened.

But if you are going to buy an 18 speed, why not go with a Mack transmission? Triple counter shaft, more & more convenient mounting options for PTO's, etc.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

And if that 10 speed is a good transmission I would be interested in it.

Going to a Fuller/Eaton trans will require different mounts for the rear of the engine to frame. Mack transmissions use frame mount to transmission case mounting where the others use frame to flywheel housing on the engine mounting. All mounts should be readily available through a truck salvage yard as Fuller tranmissions in "newer" Mack chassis were a common affair. The shifter handle, and altering the length of the driveshaft will also need to be acquired/performed.

I've done the same thing that you propose only replacing a five speed Mack transmission with a 13 speed Fuller. I purchased everything needed from a yard so there is no "hunting" to take place. This was the least expensive way to do it by far.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

A notal mount for the eaton to fit mack mounts is easily found new, expensive but available. I am not keen on the mack 18 speed, I find its more tempermental to find gears than a eaton. how ever i have allways driven high mileage trucks. why the swap out?

Grant