866 And 20 Spd Color

ducky698

Hi all, am about to clean up motor and gearbox ready to drop in, what color would suit? the chassis and rest is all black. I keep thinking cat yellow, only cause it stands out, but not sure what other color will suit.

any suggestions?

Grant

Hi all, am about to clean up motor and gearbox ready to drop in, what color would suit? the chassis and rest is all black. I keep thinking cat yellow, only cause it stands out, but not sure what other color will suit.

any suggestions?

Grant

I like the grey with a blue/greeninsh tint they were from the factory. I try to be conservative though.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

true, but its a question of what suits to. I was suggested to paint it dog dick pink today! :) now that could be an interesting color! what are the 4 sensors in the cyl heads for? it has one in each head on intake side.

and it has a line going from pressure side of turbo to air compressor, is this correct?

Grant

post-2194-12547447992721_thumb.jpg

true, but its a question of what suits to. I was suggested to paint it dog dick pink today! smile.gif now that could be an interesting color! what are the 4 sensors in the cyl heads for? it has one in each head on intake side.

and it has a line going from pressure side of turbo to air compressor, is this correct?

Grant

Those "sensors" are the electrical connections for the "Dynatard" engine brake. They are the connection point for the wiring to attach. On the underside of the valve covers will be the solenoids to operate the brake.

The turbocharger hose routing is correct as I remember from my setup.

"Dog Dick Pink"? I've always heard it another way and that you "had it licked" once you got past the smell.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi, yes its an interesting color. will pass tho. I expect to see it on that V 12 your doing! :)

how good is the dynatard?, if i was to put 12 volts to each one, would i here them click if they work?

that hose routing seems strange, why would they take the pressure away from cylinders?

Grant

Hi, yes its an interesting color. will pass tho. I expect to see it on that V 12 your doing! smile.gif

how good is the dynatard?, if i was to put 12 volts to each one, would i here them click if they work?

that hose routing seems strange, why would they take the pressure away from cylinders?

Grant

I have two 866 V8's with "Dynatard" and have never pulled a load with either truck. They do not work bad empty, and there is a definate restriction in something when they are turned on during deceleration. I've never driven anything with a "Jacobs" engine brake so have nothing to compare to. I don't know if they would "click" or not with voltage applied to them. Never have tried it. I know that the solenoid allows oil pressure to build in the rocker assembly to force the tappets to follow a second grind profile on the camshaft altering cam timing, and turning the engine into a compressor working against itself.

Think I'll pick another color for the V-12 over pink myself. The engine has always been gray, so it will probably stay that way with chromed valve covers, and not much else. It should stand out on it's own.......

The pressure loss would be neglible with the hose routing for the intake air to the compressor from the turbocharger. I've seen them routed both on the suction side, and discharge side.

post-78-12547472293389_thumb.jpg

Hi, yes its an interesting color. will pass tho. I expect to see it on that V 12 your doing! smile.gif

Grant

12v to em will make em click you should be able to hear them!

12v to em will make em click you should be able to hear them!

Thanks for answering fjh. I'm going to run the overhead on one tonight and will check mine while apart. Is there a ring, or rebuild kit available that should be installed as a "normal" maintenance item?

Rob

Hi, thankyou, will check them tomorrow. decided to paint motor an 20spd with good old Ford cleveland light blue. you can use the dog dick pink Rob :)

pulled clutch off today, replaced spigot bearing, new clutch fork, shafts an bushes to.

may be able to drop it in friday. then the engine mount modifacations begin :) thats gonna be interesting.

Grant

Thanks for answering fjh. I'm going to run the overhead on one tonight and will check mine while apart. Is there a ring, or rebuild kit available that should be installed as a "normal" maintenance item?

Rob

nope just check em fo tight.

nope just check em fo tight.

Ran the overhead last evening and some of the Dynatard equipt exhaust valves were WAY off!! I assume they were adjusted incorrectly the last time as when some cylinders were supposed to be at TDC, there was over .100 clearance to them. The engine is much more responsive now but still "stumbles" a bit on acceleration. By this I mean it is not really "snappy" to the throttle as my other V8's are such as retarded timing.

I had a hell of a time finding the timing marks on the dampner. This truck sat for many years and the marks are faintly stamped into the circumference of the dampner and cannot be read. Once I discerned the correct "hash marks" at 90 degree intervals, it was then onto figuring out which one to start with. The numbers no longer exist as this thing is as pitted as a piece of raw sheet metal that has sat outside for 10 years in the weather.

Think I'll paint it "Dog Dick Pink" to demonstrate to Grant he should follow suit.

Rob

Dog dick pink, mmm go for it. :) trans and engine painted, I do have a slight clutch problem tho, I have a 20 speed spicer, it has a pull type clutch fork and the fork sits above input shaft, the 866 has a pull clutch but appears to have been pulled from below input shaft with grease nipple at top. I removed a 12 speed from 866. the drama i have is cable routing and clutch cable lever position.

post-2194-12550063340318_thumb.jpg