Remember To Always Do A Pretrip!

Double L

I was coming through Hartford (small town here in IL with the refineries, other dog will know where I'm talking about) I was about to get onto Route 3 when I hear an air horn blaring well this Beelman Peterbilt (company truck) ran through the red light blaring his horn. I tried raising him on the cb but he didn't answer and it had my heart racing when I seen this unfold. I don't know if his brakes failed or what but I don't know if he was loaded or not cause he must have came from Alton cause he was going towards I-270. He seemed to be coasting but he sure wasn't doing the speed limit which is 55, I'd say he was getting her slowed down or at least trying to. Like I said I don't know if he lost his brakes or what but PLEASE always remember to do a pretrip!

I was coming through Hartford (small town here in IL with the refineries, other dog will know where I'm talking about) I was about to get onto Route 3 when I hear an air horn blaring well this Beelman Peterbilt (company truck) ran through the red light blaring his horn. I tried raising him on the cb but he didn't answer and it had my heart racing when I seen this unfold. I don't know if his brakes failed or what but I don't know if he was loaded or not cause he must have came from Alton cause he was going towards I-270. He seemed to be coasting but he sure wasn't doing the speed limit which is 55, I'd say he was getting her slowed down or at least trying to. Like I said I don't know if he lost his brakes or what but PLEASE always remember to do a pretrip!

Heck, may have just been that he misjudged the light. It happens sometimes...you see it go yellow and you try to stop only to realize that you won't get stopped until you are halfway through the intersection and now that you've started shedding speed, you won't make it into the intersection before it turns red...so you get back on the throttle and hit the horn to warn folks not to pull into your path. Or, you think you'll make the light on a yellow, but the yellow was shorter than you anticipated...and by then it's kinda late to do anything other than roll through (using the horn if you think someone may not see you coming).

Even with properly functioning brakes, these things don't stop on a dime. From 55 mph, it can take 170 feet to stop the truck AFTER your foot applies the brake. Add in the time it takes for you to recognize and react to something and you've covered the length of a football field before you get that rig stopped.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Gotta agree. Likely just had to run the "pink" light and hit the horn for warning. Not to say I've done it, but..............ya, couple times I've had to cut one close. Don't like doing it, but taking that last 1/2 second to decide I'll let loose of the brakes and roll it instead of trying to slide it to a quick stop.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Gotta agree. Likely just had to run the "pink" light and hit the horn for warning. Not to say I've done it, but..............ya, couple times I've had to cut one close. Don't like doing it, but taking that last 1/2 second to decide I'll let loose of the brakes and roll it instead of trying to slide it to a quick stop.

Happens to everyone. Some of those yellow lights are only a second or two and you don't have time to see it coming.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

That is true too and that light is known to change pretty quickly. I know they don't stop on a dime and I'm just glad there was no cars stopped at the light. Cause when I was turning onto Route 3 it just changed. He was at least 1/4 to 3/4 of a mile from the light and it was a good possibility he was reaching down for something as well. At first I thought maybe it was his brakes cause he sure didn't make an effort to stop and he was just coasting well under the speed limit.

Yes,there's always a time when you have to decide whether it's safer to go through the light or try to get stopped. A big single coil loaded eye to the side might make a difference in your decision.I always said the blinking warning lights before you get to the light was one of the best ideas they ever came up with-if I see it start to blink I start stopping,but they don't have those everywhere.Everywhere around here's got red light cameras now though. Maybe "it's not about safety,it's about money"?

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Everywhere around here's got red light cameras now though. Maybe "it's not about safety,it's about money"?

BINGO! Those yellow warning lights before the stop lights are GREAT! I seen them in South Boston, VA and those add a lot more safety to the roads.

They have those warning signs around Ohio, but surely not enough of them. They have put a few new lights on the divided 4 lanes around here and you can tell by all the skid marks how bad of an idea they are. I learned along time ago to treat the green as red and start to slow as it will change, unless I saw it just change green and I'm really close.

Sadly they put those lights up because a few 4wheelers couldn't cross the interection without getting creamed, now they add the problem of trucks not being able to stop(or just driving too fast and not driving safely enough).

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"